Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dual Axis Mod or Synscan Pro Goto?

andrewfkay

Hi,

I have a EQ5 mount and would like to start taking photos, widefield at first with DSLR. As I don't have bags of money to spend will dual axis motors be sufficient. Do/Can they come with autoguide ports should I want to further my AP?

There is a link (below) detailing how to add auto-guide facilities to dual axis motors but not sure if it's worth it or whether I should just save up the extra and get the EQ5 Goto?

http://www.store.shoestringastronomy.com/eq_mod.pdf

Thanks

AK

Hi Andrew,

I've got the 200p/eq5 and am looking at guiding or a Goto in the future too.

I'm leaning towards Goto as finding the targets can be a bit difficult in my averagely light poluted area (Can't always find the guide stars with Telrad). Plus guiding appears to cost nearly as much once you have bought all the gear. See QM's thread regarding guiding on our setup. QM and Stan seem to be the experts on this setup. There is a bit ofsoldering involved in modifying the motor control box to interface with the ST4 port.-

http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-astronomer/172701-guiding-conversion-project-200p-eq5.html

With a Goto setup you will be able to use EQmod which is supposed to be brilliant for controlling your Goto setup from computer. Can't find a link.

I think ill be upgrading to GOTO As soon as money allows if im honest, i can find targets with ease using the Setting Cirlces but i imagine with GOTO its so much easier.

But for the time being, ill be using motor drives + ST4 mod etc :blob10:

From the images ive seen it works just as well as GOTO for guiding, at the end of the day its just an electrical way of pushing buttons LOL

That's great. Thanks for the help.

Another question if you don't mind: Without the guide port mod and just the RA motor attached how long can I expect my subs to be (given good polar alignment)? This will be just with DSLR and 18mm-55mm kit lens for now. I am after selling my 200p because it's just too big. I need to trade for something more portable. Any suggestions would be great. 80ED maybe?

At the moment with my poor polar alignment using an F7 scope with a 350D i can get 60-70sec subs with ease, i wouldnt really want to go much further as id be wasting 70% of my subs lol

Andrew ,

Have a look at the guiding thread. I don't think you need perfect polar allignment in fact I think you want to be a bit out for the PHD software from what I have read. What do you think Eddy?

Perry.

• 1 month later...

I'm just about to buy the dual axis motors and am thinking of the st4 and GPUSB but i wondered what the overall opinion is for those that have done the mod, worth it or just save for the Goto?

Thanks

Andrew ,

Have a look at the guiding thread. I don't think you need perfect polar allignment in fact I think you want to be a bit out for the PHD software from what I have read. What do you think Eddy?

Perry.

That's not correct. PA always wants to be perfect as you can get it for imaging.

------

Just my own 2p here :clouds2:

The GOTO is a better upgrade than the dual motors however ....

Price of GOTO upgrade plus value of EQ5 being sold = .....

Very nearly price of S/H HEQ5 :icon_scratch:

Archived