Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Scared under the moon

The Warthog

When I took the dog out last night, I was surprised to find the sky perfectly clear, with a nice crescent Moon hanging next to Jupiter, and the whole thing crowned by Venus. I didn't want to go to the considerable trouble of setting up my big scope, so I got my little Mak out, and as I don't have a decent tripod for it (I use it for terrestrial spotting mostly) I hand held it against the top of my fence, and got slightly shaky views of Crisium and Fecnditatis.

While I was watching, the crazy Italian woman across the street came out onto her porch, and started yelling. As I don't speak Italian, I couldn't tell if she was yelling at me or someone else, and retreated to the branches of my apple tree, where I could observe the Moon out of her sight.

I packed it in after a few more minutes, and went inside. Shortly after, I saw the lights of an emergency vehicle and thought "Oh, God! The silly ass has called the police to report a peeping Tom!" My wife and I went outside to investigate, and it turned out to be an ambulance. It hadn't come for me. I think I'll set up a better tripod, I don't need any more of that heart stimulation.

Hope she's OK.

Great story! Thank you.

I often get a similar feeling sticking my telescope out the window here in the city; waiting for the day that someone phones the police believing there's a loon armed with a missile or else some randy peeping Tom peering in.

neighbour seen me in garden with my scope 200p last week asked if i was a peeping tom ,said yes i was watching a woman undress 5 miles away but i hoped she couldn't see me ;) my neighbour seemed confused by this:)

Archived