NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Wide angle ep's

g0ibi

I am thinking of a wide angle ep? Got my choice down to:

1] WO UWAN 7mm

2] SW Nirvana UWA82 7mm

3] Meade Ser 5000 6.7mm

or a S/H TV Nagler 5mm?

Any comments or suggestions would be welcomed please?

UWAN's and Nirvana's are exactly the same so go for the lowest cost. They are 95% or more as good as the Nagler equivalents for a lot less £'s. The Meade 5K UWA's are also supposed to be pretty good but, from reports I've read, I reckon the others on your list are a little better corrected in a fast scope. My views on the others are based on ones I've owned / used.

This very day, I've taken delivery of a 7mm Nirvana - look out for a first light report soon, but if it's as good as the 28mm which I also have, i'll be a keeper.

Outstanding value, compared to similar quality EP's.

I've going for that one as well, also for a 200P! Off to RVO on Saturday! If you do a report can you give me a heads up please?

Ron

Will do a proper report when I've got some more time with it, but I've just spent 15 mins with it and I'm happy enough.

It's quite odd seeing the whole of the moon through a 7mm EP though!

You saw the whole of the moon?

Ultra-wide eyepieces can do that. With my ED120 refractor my 6mm Ethos eyepiece gives a magnification of 150x but still shows 2/3rds of a degree of sky - more than enough to fit the full moon in.

They tend to "blur the lines" between deep sky and lunar / planetary observing eyepieces :(

Archived