NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Baader RDF's

M4lcs67

Hi all. Been trying to get a handle on this subject for a while now. The stock rdf that came with my scope keeps having the irritating problem that everyone else suffers from where the on/off wheel doesn't work properly. It requires constant twiddling in order for it to turn on, so I have had enough of it, so am looking for a replacement.

I am looking at the Baader skysurfer (the one that looks like the celestron one) and also the Baader 40mm Super Sky Surfer V.

Has anyone had any experience of these? are they easy to retrofit to another scope? I don't want to invalidate the warranty by having to mess around too much.

I have also looked at the Telrad which looks reasonable. I do like the fact that you have the illuminated circles to act as a guide. Also is that one easy to fit? I noticed that there are various adaptions for it. Dew sheild (either mirrored or not), riser base etc. All in all if you get the accesories for it the price comes out at virtually the same as the big Baader one.

Thanks for your comments.........

I have three of the sky surfer 3's and think they are great. It comes with three different fittings so you should, I'd think, be able to do a direct swap out. I think the larger V has the same bases, but it would be worth checking.

Hi Malc,

For your 127 mak the Sky Surfer III will be a good match and wont break the bank either, I have the Sky Surfer V for my refractor but have only had it a few days but first impressions are good.

Archived