NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New Scope

Just purchased a Celestron Nexstar 8SE and I want to know what else I should get to go with the scope. I know that the Power Tank (or like power device) is a must but what I am looking for is information on Eye Pieces, Focusers, and Dew Shields (active or passive). Also anyone that has any "constructive" advice about the scope itself would be greatly appreciated as well! Thanks in advance and wish all a great weekend!

Hi there :blob10:. I'd recommend a x2 barlow, and a range of eps. Definately get a dew shield - I got a astrozap one to fit mine (still thinking whether I need the heated strips).

I use a TAL x2 barlow and the Baader Hyperion zoom (8-24mm) pretty much for everything now.

I think the 8SE is a great scope - I'm sure you'll enjoy yours!

Hi there. I have a 4SE, so a fair bit smaller, but it's been an excellent scope. I'd assume therefore that the 8SE is better still!

Definitely a power tank, but I believe you can get cheaper ones than Celestron etc. I've managed with a homemade dew shield (and one for the finder) and never needed a heater. Go for good quality eyepieces, probably giving magnification between about 100x (for wider views) and, for an 8" scope maybe 250-300x for planets (if the seeing is good enough). I guess you know that the magnification of the eye piece is the focal length of the scope divided by the focal length of the eyepiece.)

Filters can be good too for planets, as can a moon filter.

But, whatever extras you buy, enjoy the views, the peace and the sense of wonder.

I purchased the Celestron EP Kit so that should hopefully start me down the right direction. I gather that the smaller EP's (6 & 8mm) will not get hardly any use but it did come with a 2X Barlow. Any reviews for Celestrons EP products? @ Mark...you mentioned the zoomable 8-24 EP and I was wondering if this is a good substitute for having a variety of EP's or is it more of a convenience? @ wheresthetorch...thanks for the formula! I have been trying to figure out where the zoom is derived from...intially I thought 8mm means 8x zoom, lol! But thanks too both of you for bolstering my knowledge base that much more!

If it is the Hyperion click stop zoom vs Celestron eyepiece kit then I have little doubt the zoom will come out on top. Not all zooms are created equal, but the Hyperion is one of the best.

Magnification is calculated by dividing your scope's focal length with the eyepiece focal length, so the 8-24 zoom will give you 85x to 254x magnification on your C8

Hi USAF_Slip. I also got the celestron case of eps to start as well - really helped me get a feel for what the scope is capapble of. I still use some of the colour filters, but the 32mm is pretty much the only ep I still use for some wider field work.

The Baader Hyperion zoom enables you to basically use one ep and not have to keep swapping them out (as you say, convenience is a good factor here). I find this very useful to help me keep things in the field of view (especially using my other scopes on my manual eq mount) when upping the magnification! In my opinion, the quality of this piece of kit really exceeds the lenses that came with the celestron case (and the stock 24mm ep that came with the scope). The great thing about the Hyperion is it "clickstops" to set 8mm 12mm 16 mm and 24mm levels but you can basically smoothly move it between these settings as you need. I've also tried it with the x2 barlow to up the magnification still further, but the "seeing" conditions where I live rarely make that worthwhile.

You had much chance to get out with the scope yet? Be good to hear your "first light" experiences :blob10:.

Basically ordered same kit USAF_Slip nothing to add that has'nt been said but i've heard and read that rubber suppression pads or cheaper alternative come in handy under the feet of the mount reduces vibration etc. Just a thought mate :blob10:

wheresthetorch...thanks for the formula! I have been trying to figure out where the zoom is derived from...intially I thought 8mm means 8x zoom, lol! But thanks too both of you for bolstering my knowledge base that much more!

You're welcome. Let us know how you get on under starry skies.

The vibration suppression pads are probably a good idea, as Steve suggests. I do find it takes a few seconds to steady down if I shift the focus... . Think I'll look into getting some myself :blob10:

Awesome thanks to all for the replies. According to UPS my scope should arrive Wednesday along with the EP set. You guys have sold me on the Hyperion as well as the pads too. Depending on how much I can pull those for I am also considering a Feather Touch Focuser by Starlight Inst. as a replacement for the stock focuser knob. I'm very twitchy as it is so hopefully that helps too...and it better for the price they are asking! Thanks again to all your remarks and once I get the package I am sure I will be flooding the site with my remarks and first light experience. Good evening to all!

Archived