Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What is the difference between Synscan Pro & non-pro EQ5 upgrade kits?

itlee

I want to add the synscan goto to my EQ5 mount, but i a little confused as to what really is the difference between a "Synscan pro goto version 3 upgrade kit for eq5" and the "synscan goto upgrade kit for eq5" (this is also v3)?

whenever i look at the non-pro on websites, they never seem to show any pictures except of the controller!

i can see in the pro version that the motors are covered

some examples:

First Light Optics - SynScan PRO GOTO Version 3 Upgrade Kit for EQ5

SynScan TM GO-TO UPGRADE KITS - Upgrade Kit for standard EQ5 by OVL

Pack Goto V3 pour EQ5 - Optique Perret - Centre Tlescopes & Jumelles (at least this shows something other than the controller) (btw this is my local dealer, so will probably have no choice in the end)

on the same note, how do i know if my mount is pro or non-pro or is there no difference?

itlee.

to my knowlage there isnt any difference

the pro comes from the mount with the goto already as standered

EG : First Light Optics - Skywatcher EQ5 PRO Synscan GOTO

compared to

First Light Optics - Skywatcher EQ5 Deluxe

but if you look at this

First Light Optics - SynScan PRO GOTO Version 3 Upgrade Kit for EQ5

you can see the first and the 3rd links are near the same

i dont think theres a difference between non pro and pro i think its a different way of saying goto or manual to be honest but i may be wrong

edit : just saw the OLV site (the main distributors for skywatcher for the uk) and if you read what the kit has

TO capabilities. Kits comprise V.3 SynScanTM Flash Upgradeable GO-TO handset, 2 x Stepper Motors for DEC and R.A. Drives, Replacement Control Panel / Motor Board, Hand Control Cable, Cable Clamp and Hand Control Holder (12V D.C. Power Supply required - not supplied).
its exactly the same :)

A quick definition of the various EQ5 mounts.

EQ5 - this mounts does not have motors but can be upgraded with either dual axis non-goto motors that will give the mount basic tracking, or it can be upgraded with the Synscan upgrade which includes motors, a motor control board and the Synscan handset, to upgrade an existing EQ5 with dual axis motors you need to use the Synscan upgrade kit.

EQ5 Pro -this mount has the Synscan goto motors and mcb pre-installed.

Peter

yeah I can see the difference between the mounts and as you say the PRO comes with the Synscan, but what I am trying to work out is the difference between the upgrade kits.

I was hoping someone here had the one that doesnt mention pro to confirm if it was the pro under a different name/description? as i can see in the pro version there are plastic boxes around the motors, but the other non-pro it is not possible to see if that is the case.

itlee.

Archived