NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Celestron RDF

I am still looking to replace my stock rdf as I am still struggling with the reliability of the stock rdf that came with my scope and would appreciate some more help/suggestions. There was a thread going around a couple of weeks ago about this very subject. I have seen the two Baader ones on the FLO website (one at £20ish that looks like the original Celestron one) and their super-duper Baader one at £70. Also I have looked at the Telrad one and I like the fact that it has the ilumminated circles at cetain intervals in order for the user to jump to different objects more easily, but when you have added the cost of the finder, dew sheild and various other acessories together it virtually comes out a the price of the more expensive Baader.

Also there is the question of how easy are they to retrofit to a scope? Do you have to change the rdf shoe that is screwed to the scope tube? Would doing something like that invalidate the telescopes warranty?

Thanks once again for your advice.

Had a Telrad, i know they are popular but i found it too big and heavy for a small / medium scope. The Baader sky surfer 3 is very good for the price, 30mm diameter with a selection of mounts to suit any scope mounting.

Only £21.45 on FLO.

Hi Malc

I had the same issue with the stock RDF that came with my 127 slt. The company I bought it from has replaced it and this one seems to be OK. It's the same design but the optics are different colour to the original stock item. If your scope is still in warranty it might be worth trying to get a replacement first.

cheers

Ali

Archived