Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

2nd Mars attempt (19th March)

Ringrocket

Hello,

My second attempt at Mars. This time followed Neils advice to go a bit higher on the F ratio, so this time F36.

I'm happy, but some questions arise too:

Why do I see a faint white circle around the planet ? Anybody had that too ? I stacked and processed in R5

I usually keep the Gamma at 100 (DBK). Yesterday I also made two recordings with higher and lower gamma (but haven't processed these yet). I'll see what effect that might have later........

150% Resize:

post-24724-133877750036_thumb.png

Very nice! Yep, I get that white ring all the time. It's just the nature of capturing with a nice full histogram. Sometimes it can mean a slight miscollimation but at this scale, hard to tell. It can be processed out easily enough in post processing.

Hope you don't mind me playing a bit in CS3 to get rid of the ring:confused:

And the second is sharpened slightly as well.

The Red and Green were clipped a bit, either at capture or in processing, so either leave a little more headroom in the histo when capturing, or leave any brightness adjustments or stretching till last:icon_salut:

post-16237-13387775061_thumb.png

post-16237-133877750612_thumb.png

Hello Rob,

Thanks for showing the cleaned images. Personally I prefer the left one :)

I've no idea why the red and green were clipped. I carefully watch the histograms, and during recording the green was near 75% (red is nearer to max though). Could this be introduced during the processing ? (I just stacked and used wavelets in R5).

How'd you correct the RGB allignment ? I tried in R5 but the the R5 estimate was not helping.

Here's my settings for recording Mars that evening....

Thanks,

Jeffrey

post-24724-133877750961_thumb.jpg

I think the "halo" is sometimes caused by dew on the lenses/mirrors, too. I occasionally get it showing up when I've been imaging with the scope high enough that the dew shield can't function as well as it might to prevent moisture dropping onto the corrector plate.

James

Archived