Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Reading Azimuth on a setting circle - help

I've created a setting circle on the upper plate of my DOB and use a fixed pointer which is on the floor underneath the first base plate and which doesn't move. I point the scope North - align to Polaris and move the fixed pointer to 0 degrees. When I read on Steallarium Mars for example is 135 degrees - Instead of moving the OTA so the fixed pointer points to 135 on the setting circle I have to count 135 degrees anti clockwise it so it end up on 225 degrees. (360 minus 135) The setting circle numbers run clockwise- Is my mistake I should have set the setting circle numbers up anti clockwise or is this something everyone does?

I was thinking of drilling a hole in the upper base plate to see a circle in between the plates- for the time being I 'm glad I haven't - anyone tell me where I'm going wrong?

cheers

Steve

stevetynant-albums-gear-picture16234-feb-12-054.jpg

Archived