Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

That moment when you were first WOWed by the stars...

wired2moon

When did the night sky fire your imagination for the very first time? Can you remember? For me it was at the Armagh Planetarium (I'm from Norn Iron) when I was about 6 or 7. My folks took us there (first trip of many) and we were all excited heading into the dome theatre for the star show - I remember clearly... the chair reclined, the lights went out, stars appeared all over the dome, Chariots of Fire started playing, the narration began... and I was just gobsmacked!!! Nowadays I live not too far from the Space Centre in Leicester so who knows, maybe one day my kids will have a similar experience!

Strangely enough never, as in no real singular occasion. I have always looked at the stars, always had an interest and have tended to follow up what I have seen by looking at books. These have led to other aspects. But no real one off event.

Grew up in the West country and the skies were reasonably dark, so observing was OK by eye, Ursa Minor was easily visible, all the other major constellations even more so.

The Milky Way was again something that was there, easy to see and another thing to learn about.

Planets were something that appeared and "upset" the simplicity of it all as they tended to move round a bit.

Probably when I was around eight years old my parents gave me a toy telescope kit. Basically it included some plastic lenses and shells for the OTA that needed assembling and a map of the moon about 18" square that must have stayed on my wall for years. It was probably only about 50mm aperture (I really can't be sure), but I remember being captivated by what I could see of the moon. Still am, if truth be told.

James

Archived