NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Dual mootor drives not working

Walky

THEY ARE BRAND NEW, INSTALLED ON CG4:

Dear friends, I installed the drives and took my sweet time to make sure everything was done correctly. Finally I pushed the botton to "N" and pressed the white buttons. Nothing. I have read some other threads on this matter and I have checked the spokes engage, the LEDs light on, interchanged cables... I also imagined they would take some time before they started and pressed for a while. NOTHING MOVES

PICTURE 1: FRONT

PICTURE 2: DETAIL

PICTURE 3: RA MOTOR

PICTURE 4: DEC MOTOR

Does that mount have clutch engagment levers or knobs? If it's free spinning with the gears moving but the mount isn't turning, the clutches may not be engaged properly. Or it's set to the lowest slew speed.

If none of that is the issue, then you may need to call the company tech reps for a replacement. Also, is there a second power cord to run the drive motor seperatly? I don't see anything plugged in, in your pictures.

The clutches need to be tightened for the motors to drive the mount. Check that the motors are working by selecting the fastest rate on the handset and watch the output gears. The Dec axis drive has a clutch mechanism to engage the final gear to the large nylon gear, tighten the knurled ring on the shaft to engage the two gears.

Peter

It is probably that I did not have the clutch levers engaged. The nylon gear on the DEC motor was engaged to the coppe-like gear and the outer silver cap/knob was tightened. I will try by checking all of these again and use the 8x speed. You all have been very helpful, as always.

It works!!!!!

I had no doubt it would. Problems: I (1) did not have the R.A. & DEC levels locked and I (2) had not done the insertion of the RA motor way up and flush to the body of the mount, because I had not loosened up that little thingy that wouldn't let it go through. I saw them both moving and the motors Purrrr! Great, I am ready to go, one additional step completed!

You are marvelous guys, no other forum is so good.

post-32085-133877749144_thumb.jpg

post-32085-133877749152_thumb.jpg

One last question, though. The instructions say I shoudl not move the slow motion knobs if the motors are engaged. OK, does that mean that I have 1) to disconnect power or (2) mechanically disconnect. I suppose I can disengage teh DEC motor drive by loosening the bright knob (the one showing obove "It's working" on the picture above. (yes?) What about the RA?

I think it means not to disconnect it to push it manually when it's slewing or rotating.

If you push it manually after it's aligned, it'll throw the alignment off and you need to do the star alignment again.

Glad to see it works. ;)

Nothing bums a person more than waiting weeks for a good peice of equipment to come in, only to have it inoperable.

I was visualizing myself throwing everything in the lake,really. No worries then.;-( . Then I was blaming Amazon, I was blaming myself for buying into the hobby, etc.. Poor amazon, they have been really good to me. I feel satisfaction on the assembly of the thing (with your help); and tonight, I may venture with XXX lbs of equipment out of the room, into a place I have already fallen when I went "out to see the stars", slipped and found myself with the back to the soil watching, precisely, the stars, with a scratched knee and unable to stand up. I laughed and laughed. What else could I do?

I think it means not to disconnect it to push it manually when it's slewing or rotating.

If you push it manually after it's aligned, it'll throw the alignment off and you need to do the star alignment again.

OK! I do not intend to do that anyway.

Alignment is another momentous event (project). Tonight I will only try to look at Jupiter through the scope and maybe take a picture.

OK! I do not intend to do that anyway.

Alignment is another momentous event (project). Tonight I will only try to look at Jupiter through the scope and maybe take a picture.

Polar aligning seems daunting, but it's actually a fairly simple process. Just point the front of your mount north, adjust your scope angle to match your gps coordinates. (you can google that), get the north star (polaris) inside the small circle on the big circle of your mount sights of your scope mount. (Usually have one built into the actual mount. (not sure if yours has one.)

Secure your levers and let the scope do the star alignment. Just make cirtain you input the correct data for time zones and daylight saving when the remote goes through the settings.

One last question, though. The instructions say I shoudl not move the slow motion knobs if the motors are engaged. OK, does that mean that I have 1) to disconnect power or (2) mechanically disconnect. I suppose I can disengage teh DEC motor drive by loosening the bright knob (the one showing obove "It's working" on the picture above. (yes?) What about the RA?

To manually slew the mount in RA you need to disengage the mount RA clutch. The DEC axiis drive is disengaged by unscrewing the knurled wheel on the DEC axis shaft.

Peter

Does that mount have clutch engagment levers or knobs? If it's free spinning with the gears moving but the mount isn't turning, the clutches may not be engaged properly. Or it's set to the lowest slew speed.

If none of that is the issue, then you may need to call the company tech reps for a replacement. Also, is there a second power cord to run the drive motor seperatly? I don't see anything plugged in, in your pictures.

No, I did not have the power and hand controller plugged when I took the picture. I don't leave those on.

Archived