Dob or EQ?

I have almost made up my mind and am stuck on 2 scopes. Both are similar priced.

SW 200P Explorer EQ5 £390

Or

SW Skyliner 250px Classic £418

Both F5, 1000mm and 1200mm focal lengths!

New to the hobby. Will want to take basic pics in the future, neither is a problem getting it around in and out the car etc. I want to use it for general stargazing, planets, DSO's nebulae etc.

Which and why?

Thanks,

I spent the last 2 weeks trying to make the exact same decision as you.

I ended up going for the 200p eq5 in the end,but it was a hard choice.

I made that decision in the end based on the fact that I will want to take photos in the future.Also I plan on adding the auto tracking upgrade as well.

I've only had it for a few days and I'm well impressed so far.I only had 2 hours with it on Friday and it is my first scope.

I would still like to try the 250 Dob though,but my birthday is next month so who knows.:)

Danny.

I have had a go on both and I am very impressed with both! I think looking forward the eq may be better but shorter term the dob is a little more simple and a bigger scope!

Danny. How have you found the eq mount? Although I have looked through one I did not actually set it up etc.

Thanks,

If you want to take pics of dso's an eq mount is essential cos a dob, being alt/az, will introduce rotation and star trailing with the long exposures necessary. If you want to snap a few planets then an auto dob will fit the bill with reasonable results.

However, most folks choose dobs cos they want the large aperture for observing and drawing, if they are interested in imaging they will also have a good eq mount and imaging scope as well. Hence the lengthy equipment lists in some signatures.

Small aperture dobs imho are pretty pointless - anything less than 8" can be eq mounted with relative ease and you have the benefit of "either/or" when it comes to imaging and observing. It also affords the benefit of appreciating the natural movement of Earth relative to the stars.

Both are quick and easy to set up once you know what you're doing - the difference being inconsequential - maybe a few mins - compared to the length of a session. So I think you may have some thinking to do before commiting the cash. Hope that helps :)

i went for the 200p EQ5 too its my first scope and to be honest its more than i expected and so easy to use polar alignment is a doddle once you have read the instructions a few times and i havent bothered with the setting circles as of yet ive managed to get some good snaps of the moon with a webcam so far but am looking forward to lots of practice i am well pleased with this scope so far you cant go far wrong with one of these..

Archived