NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Sky-Watcher 200P Flextube Dob

Hi Stargazing Loungers,

I'm considering getting one of these as my portable scope and was just wondering how well they hold their collimation between uses if left extended? I was thinking of keeping the OTA extended in my shed and transferring to my car for the 2 min drive to my site but don't really want to collimate every time I arrive there. I assume it would need collimating every time it is retracted and then extended again? I realise that from that it sounds like the obvious answer is to just save some money and get the solid-tube version but I would also like to take it on family holidays or camping trips with my buddies when the car is usually full of kids junk or outdoor gear! One other question - do the mirrors tend to dew-up more easily?

Cheers

Gav :)

These scopes only need a few tweaks with a laser collimator Gav. Usually the secondary mirror does not need touching and the primary takes a few secs. I carry mine around in a holdall so neat and tidy in a car. I would not recommend transporting the OTA fully extended.

The secondary mirror does dew up on very damp nights even with a dew shield and ota shroud. Most of the time its fine.

These scopes only need a few tweaks with a laser collimator Gav. Usually the secondary mirror does not need touching and the primary takes a few secs

I second that Although I am yet to take mine out in the car

Another vote for don't transport it extended. I don't even like to carry mine out on to the patio extended.

I check collimation fully every couple of weeks and use a laser before every use to do the minor tweaks needed and agree it takes a few seconds - I've also fitted thumbscrews on the secondary which is a major plus, little allen keys were far too much trouble. If you're thinking of transporting it around regularly thumbscrews would be a good investment (£6).

Another vote for don't transport it extended. I don't even like to carry mine out on to the patio extended.

I check collimation fully every couple of weeks and use a laser before every use to do the minor tweaks needed and agree it takes a few seconds - I've also fitted thumbscrews on the secondary which is a major plus, little allen keys were far too much trouble. If you're thinking of transporting it around regularly thumbscrews would be a good investment (£6).

Ditto for the bigger 300p. I never move extended.

Re collimayion I've only touched the secondary once since new 18 months ago. Check with a Baader laser every use and a tweak is all that is ever required. Takes 2 minutes tops and its usually so close that for a casual session you could do without.

Plus 1 for thumbscrews

Many thanks for the advice guys. I guess being a 'flex'tube it's just not rigid enough to moved around when extended which is fair enough. I was also thinking of investing in a Hotech crosshair laser collimator so I'll keep that with me to check collimation on site. Thanks again. ;)

Gav

I too use a hotech, it really is then just a 5 minute job to tweak the collimation. I sometimes carry the tube extended between my garage and garden, but collapse it to fit it in the car.

Archived