Next step after a webcam?

Leebert

I currently use an SPC900 webcam for planetary imaging. I intend to mod it for long exposures but haven't quite got around to it.

I have been looking into the next step. What is the next, reasonable dedicated camera up from a webcam? Suitable for both Solar and maybe some deep sky objects? The budget isn't huge, I guess £500 but, if necessary, I would rather spend a bit more and get something more suitable.

Many thanks.

Thanks for the reply.

Looking at what's around in the market, a lot has to be spent to gain what seems not much in the camera world. I think I'll be sticking to the webcam / DSLR unless I win the lottery!

Something worth considering, within that price range, is a DSLR body. You can pick one up for £300-£400 which would leave you some spare cash for adapters, computer connectors, spare batteries etc.

That won't make your planetary images any better - a CCD webcam is a good match for planets, but it does open up more possibilities due to it's wide field of view. Plus, if you find it's not for you, the s/h price you'd get for it (on eBay the ones that sell go for £250+) wouldn't be too much of a loss for the experience gained. In fact if you bought a s/h one and got a "lucky" resale you might even make a profit!

I bought a "used" 1100D body for £230 from Amazon and it's like new with all the usual extras including software. Excellent noise performance. Easily controlled via USB from it's own software or APT (even better).

Highly recommended :) Lower noise than earlier versions.

I had the same decision point and went with a DSLR - second hand 1000D off e-bay for 250 or so, including a lens, battery, charger, cables, software etc.

The reason for this is I didn't want to shell out 300 quid for a CCD cam I could only use for astronomy, I liked the flexibility of being able to use a decent camera in everyday use as well for those special events (parties, kids sports day etc).

The performance of the Canon DSLR combined with something like APT on the laptop is brilliant. The only downside is that unless you buy it modded or want to mod it yourself, its inbuilt IR filter will cut out some of the light from things like the rosette nebula and you'll need to do heavy post processing to make it look "normal". Small criticism though for what I believe to be good value for money.

First step up in my opinion would be to a DSLR, if you stick with a regular one, you also gain a good step into photography and have a multi-purpose piece of kit.

After DSLR i would them look at dedivated astro CCD's if you wish to progress further.

I had the same decision point and went with a DSLR - second hand 1000D off e-bay for 250 or so, including a lens, battery, charger, cables, software etc.

The reason for this is I didn't want to shell out 300 quid for a CCD cam I could only use for astronomy, I liked the flexibility of being able to use a decent camera in everyday use as well for those special events (parties, kids sports day etc).

The performance of the Canon DSLR combined with something like APT on the laptop is brilliant. The only downside is that unless you buy it modded or want to mod it yourself, its inbuilt IR filter will cut out some of the light from things like the rosette nebula and you'll need to do heavy post processing to make it look "normal". Small criticism though for what I believe to be good value for money.

Fair enough. It all depends on your budget and just how keen you are to get the best AP results. There is no doubt in my mind that separate cameras are needed to completely satisfy both needs. Standard unmodified camera with lens(es) for normal photography and red/IR filter removed for AP. A compromise would be an 1100D with one filter removed and custom white balance for normal photography. That would give the best value for money for AP but still allow general use.

Archived