Baader Neodymium Filter - moon use?

Hubby wants a moon filter for his birthday but I spotted a comment on here somewhere that this is a better option as also filters light pollution etc.

FLO user review says the same.

Anything I should know before I buy this for him instead of a specific moon filter?

We have SW 250 Classic DOB f/5 with supplied eyepices, although will upgrade eyepices soon.

Hi the Neodymium filter will work well on the Moon, also on Mars And Jupiter. And does a great job with light pollution too. I too was going to purchase a Moon filter but went for the Neo instead. To me it does the job of 3 filters in one. Hope they are in stock for you as I had to search around quite a bit before finding mine.

Thanks Paul, I have until start of May so hopefully enough time to track one down.

Now a real beginners question I should have included in my post do I buy the 2" or 1.25" version. I am not sure where a filter should go. The scope accepts both sizes of eyepiece. The supplied eyepices are 1.25" but I am looking to upgrade them to maybe a Baader Hyperion high mag with fine tuning rings (yes I know about the edge distortion) which I know includes elelments at both 2" and 1.25" and a low mag wide angle.

Thanks,

That's a tricky one I bought the 1.25 version and a cheaper (£20) 2 inch light pollution filter. Somebody else may be able to advise better, as I have only used the 1.25 version. Although on the upside I think the 2 must be more readily available if a bit more expensive. Suppose it depends on what EP it will be intended for use with. Good luck.

Hi Ya Eastridge, the Hyperions are a nice set of eps, but basically, depending on the focal length you buy, the bottom lens element can be unscrewed to convert the ep to 2" mode - but this changes the focal length to around 20mm - I think that's the case with all the eps in the range.

If you use the 10mm Hyperion in 1.25 mode will give you x 120. If you take the bottom lens out of the ep - this will give you "2 mode but the magnification will drop to x60 - in effect a low power ep - so if you buy a 1.25 filter it'll work with all hyperions giving you differing views, but if you buy a 2" filter - to use in 2" mode with different ep focal lengths you still get roughly the same views with different focal lengths.

Hope that helps Eastridge - its a little difficult to get your head around different focal lengths with different ep's. Cheers Paul.

Archived