NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Explain Dioptrx and my situation please :)

Adz

Hi all,

I was about to buy a 31mm Nagler, but the seller just messaged me this:

'Just realised that the 31 has a 1.5 TeleVue Dioptrix fitted to it. I hope you can use this as I am sending it with the corrector installed.'

As far as I understand it this piece of kit corrects astigmatism which is something that is corrected by glasses. I don't wear glasses, I don't think I need it.

Anyways can I use this thing as the normal eye cup too? Could someone with more knowledge or owning one explain to me?

Many thanks,

The Dioptix induce astigmatism that would cancel out your eye's natural astigmatism. It has to be matched to your eye. If you don't have astigmatism to begin with, you will need to remove it. Otherwise you will see the astigmatism induced by the Dioptix.

I'd guess the optical quality and coating quality of the dioptix will be better than the typical plastic spectacles lenses. Also it will be centred on the eyepiece, so you won't need to adjust your spectacle to centre it.

You can sell it the Dioptix, I'm sure there is a market for it. I would have made you an offer, but my eyes are 1.0, so your Dioptix won't work for me.

Having had a quick look around I would say that the Dioptrix has its own shorter cup to give the correct eye relief with it attached. If I were you I would check it still has the original eye cup with it. I wouldn't say don't buy it without (the early Naglers didn't have them anyhow) but you might be able to knock a few quid off.

Getting hold of genuine Tele Vue spares can be difficult and expensive unless you get lucky. A coule of years ago I asked a UK dealer (no longer in business) about getting a 2" TV end cap and was quoted £9 inc delivery plus a 3 week wait :)

I would not want to use my Nagler 31mm without the rubber eye cup to be honest so it would be worth checking to see if the original cap is included with the eyepiece. If it's not then, having just checked, I can say the the N31 eyecup is the same one they use on the 6mm 8mm and 13mm Ethos so there may be spares around somewhere.

If you get really stuck you can contact TV by phone in the USA (I've done this) and they will sell you spares.

Thanks for the help guys. Yeah Damo thats the one I have been in touch with him about. Haitch I am not sure about that, one one is in stock and I would prefer the proper televue one but thanks anyway.

Sorry to hear that Adam but it might be for the best in the long run. Getting a replacement eye cup was a hassle that you could probably do without.

Hope you find another soon.

Archived