Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

8" Dobsonian to EQ conversion

WakeyTiger

Hi folks, hope you are all well?

Had my Skywatcher 200P Dob for just over a year now, and really loving it. Part of me yearns to get this tube mounted onto an EQ now though, as planetary viewing (and imaging) becomes a little frustrating with the frequent manual movement necessary to keep the target in the eyepiece - especially for Mars and Venus!

I've read numerous discussions around whether I could get away with an EQ5 mount - or if I would need a NEQ5, or even EQ6.

Also interested to hear whether the 1200mm tube would restrict being able to reach the eyepiece in certain positions (I am 5ft 11").. or can you rotate the tube in the rings to help this?

Many thanks for any help - I'll try and post some pictures I've gathered over the past year, using a basic Canon Ixus VI camera!

Cheers all!

Matt.

The EQ5 is at the limit with the f/5 version 200P so I reckon the 1200mm f/6 would be too much for it. HEQ5 would be fine for visual use I expect, but if you want to make a proper go of imaging you will be wanting the NEQ6.

For visual, you'd get away with an EQ5, but an HEQ5 is noticeably more stable. I found (using an HEQ5) that using one of the wide WO long dovetails, plus a standard SW dovetail bolted to the top of the tube rings helped a lot in this regard.

Yes, unless you rotate the tube, you will end up viewing at altitude. The problem with rotating the tube is that it tends to slide downward through the tube rings, thus stuffing up your careful balancing. A lot of us use DIY slip rings to stop this happening - Have a look here.

Russell

I don't even think for visual an EQ5 is enough. When I had mine on the CG5 it wasn't stable by any means and now finds itself redundant in the conservatory ready to be sold..get the NEQ6 if you can stretch that far. Never looked back since buying the EQ6, worthy investment for the future.

Thanks for the tip folks, it sounds like the EQ6 is worth the investment, and probably just worth buying, rather than buy a totally new scope on a EQ6 mount, so I'll get saving!

Thanks also for the pointer on scope rings and dovetails - really appreciated, and some great tips in there.

I'm building a patio in the garden soon, to double-up as a scope platform. I currently only have decking and grass (not good after rain) - so this will be better as well.

Cheers all !

Archived