Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dark sky DSLR imaging

In two weeks time, I will be camping in the deserts of Jordan so am hoping for some really dark skies. I am looking for advice on night sky photos.

I won't be imaging through a telescope but I have a DSLR (Canon 450D) with a range of lens (17 to 400mm), simple tripod and a cable release. I don't have an opportunity to practise so I wonder if people could suggest what would be good combos ISO, focal length, exposure times etc to get the best from this kit?

Would it be worth taking multiple frames, and what I believe are called "darks" (shots with the lens cap on? ) and seeing what I can do with them when I get back? All new stuff to me so any help would be much appreciated.

With 28mm lens I was able to take 20 second images with no drift and tripod mount. Take darks and throw the lot at DSS to stack. Go to 17mm and you may be able to take 30sec. or even 60s.

Use ISO 800, unless the 450D is very good at higher.

Longer than 50mm and you will be nown to very short exposure so probably not worth bothering.

Focus and framing will be a problem - as you may already know.

We went to Petra following the Transit of venus in 2004 an the skies were stunning from the desert - camped out for one night - amazing.

Rob

The 17mm end of your lens will be the most useful I think. With this you might be able to go up to 60s exposure. Experiment with the iso but 800 is a good starting point.

Ps- hope you,ve timed your visit with the new moon? Would be a bit gutted if I was in such a good dark sky site under the glare of the ful moon........

Archived