Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Home Dew Shield

EdskiMax

So i'm expecting to take delivery of my 200p Dob soon.. I'm interested in making an non heated dew shield.. I know alot have been using camping mat.. Personally I think they are a little to thick & can seem crude looking.. I wonder if anyone knows roughly what size of foam sheeting i would need to cover a 8"" tube with about 40cm in height.. Would stitching velcro on either end be suitable for securing it..

Putting my mathematician's hat on... multiply the diameter by Pi (3.142) to get the circumference. So that's just under 25" or about 630mm. Actually the tube of a 200P scope will be more than 8" but I don't know the exact size.

I think velcro would be fine to secure it.

Thanks Gina.. Yeah, so something in the regions of 70x40 cm.. Would be the size i'm looking for.. Alot of the craft foam is small sizes.. The camping mat just seems too thick for my likings.. Back to google i go...

No problem glad to help, if you need any other help with sizes of measurements I am sure I can find a tape measure for mine some place... :)

I read somewhere that 2.5x the aperture of your scope was the rule of thumb. I did that with mine but really its overkill.

I seen people talking about 40cm for a 10" - I want it mainly for a few stray street lights, kinda low on the left side of my garden.. is that shield just Velcroed together & slid over the top of the tube?

Yup that is the way. Adjustible if the neoprene decides to become a bit loose after time. Mine is doubled up in case you didn't know.

With a space square as well I would recommend putting it inside your mount to stop the tube ota banging on the wood. Its in my thread.

Thanks, doubling up is a good idea yeah. The neoprene is a little too giving if used singly for anything more than something like a telrad shield. I only got one roll of the black and there was enough to double up on the dew shield, make 2 more for my binoculars, the little protective square and some left over

Archived