Mars looking good 13th March

Stu

Popped the scope out (106mm) to have a good look at the conjunction, and although the skies don't look great, they seem really good through the scope.

I got Venus and Jupiter in the same field of view with the panoptic but although it was nice to achieve, the experience was underwhelming because of low mag and the two being towards the edge of the fov.

However, at high mag, they were looking great individually. Venus was quite well defined and very clear half phase. Some lovely detail visible on Jupiter at around x180.

Mars is looking very good already and hopefully should get better once it moves to the gap between houses in a little while. Am using nagler zoom at 3mm (x230) and also 2.5T6 which gives x276. Amazingly it is holding up very well. Using an orange and also tried a green filter, both of which tease out a little more detail I think. Polar cap very clear, plenty of other, very subtle detail visible which hopefully will get a bit clearer if the cloud stays away.

Back out for more now :):)

Stu

managed a little Mars observing last night with the polar cap, surrounding dark material and (I think) Syrtis Major appearing round the limb. The dark southern area also quite obvious. Then the clouds rolled in. It was looking good too as my scope came into equilibrium and Mars rose.........

It was rather frustrating wasn't it. The seeing looked quite good and I was getting some nice detail for that early in the evening (sounds similar to you Shane but I imagine more subtle given the difference in scopes). Sort of suspected something coming round the corner but couldn't tell if it was Syrtis Major or not.

Stu

Just bagged Mars for the second time ( first time was only for about 20 seconds before clouds rolled in the other day)

Couldnt see no detail but loved every minute just waiting for kids to fall asleep then all be back out :)

Archived