Solar gazing

Hi All

I wonder if you could help please. I have a SkyWatcher 200P and happily stargaze. I would now like to try to view the Sun but need some advice on filters, etc. that I should buy so that I don't damage my scope (and eyes).

Any advice is very welcome. Thank you.

You can observe the Sun safely in white light using a full aperture solar filter like this:

First Light Optics - AstroZap Baader Solar Filter

A lower cost alternative is to buy a sheet of the Baader solar film and cover the small hole in the dust cap of your scope with it. You can then view the Sun when the dust cover is firmly over the aperture of the scope and the small cap is removed.

It's worth capping or removing your finder before you observe the Sun as that is enough to damage your eyes as well.

Make sure any filters are firmly attached to the scope and that every part of your scopes aperture is covered either by filter material or the dust cap before observing.

It's quite easy to make an off axis filter for a larger scope using Baader solar film. Just make sure there are no light leaks and it fits securely on the front of the scope.

rikmcrae-albums-equipment-picture16212-solar-filter.jpg

You can observe the Sun safely in white light using a full aperture solar filter like this:

First Light Optics - AstroZap Baader Solar Filter

A lower cost alternative is to buy a sheet of the Baader solar film and cover the small hole in the dust cap of your scope with it. You can then view the Sun when the dust cover is firmly over the aperture of the scope and the small cap is removed.

It's worth capping or removing your finder before you observe the Sun as that is enough to damage your eyes as well.

Make sure any filters are firmly attached to the scope and that every part of your scopes aperture is covered either by filter material or the dust cap before observing.

I have tried and failed terrible to make a solar filter in the past. I would go for

a ready made one for my scope (as per the link above).

But to be honest...................seeing sunspots in "white light" just really does not excite me.

Here's mine - I like to think it's a bit more upmarket than a shreddies box :)

you can see I made a filter for the finder as well, added safety.

Looks very nice. It's good that you put it directly over the secondary to avoid all the contrast and sharp detail you get from an off-aperture axis mask :)

Archived