Telescope For A Friends Mum

Having only recently started this hobby myself, I'm now finding myself to be the source of any astronomy based information my friends and family require (to add to the IT advice I already get asked for).

My friends mum has decided she'd like a telescope after seeing my pictures of Moon/Jupiter/Saturn. Budget of around £100 I recommended these 3 in this order;

First Light Optics - Skywatcher Heritage 130p Flextube

First Light Optics - Skywatcher Skyhawk 1145P SynScan AZ GOTO

First Light Optics - Skywatcher Explorer 130

The first one being the one I recommended most with it being a dobsonian plonk and go. He came back and asked me what I thought of this;

Jessops Astronomical Reflector Telescope 900-114 - Jessops - Telescopes

I haven't answered yet, but I suspect you guys would advise against the Jessops one? What would you recommend to someone in this position, as I said I favoured the dob, I don't mind collimating it for them and for how often they would probably use it I suspect they won't need it doing very often. I think an EQ mount would be a waste as I think the extra time they need to learn to set it up would put them off, plus I haven't ever set one up so can't teach them easily.

I'd say you're spot on with that assumption. They should buy the biggest dob/az mounted OTA they can afford and depending on whether or not they want to learn the stars depends on whether it should be goto.

From the scopes you mention, Iwould say that they would be better of with the 130/EQ2 option. It takes a while to work out, but once done, it should be fairly easy to move around. I would however, echo Benjii's idea about getting a bigger Dob type scope. Ideally, try and talk them into spending a bit more and going for a 150P Dob, they won't regret it.

Re the eq mount my worry is that it'll put her off. Bigger dob would be nice and I'd agree with your recommendations but don't think they want to stretch the budget that far.

Just seen the price of the goto one I suggested, must have been more hungover yesterday than I realised that was well over their budget. Oops.

I think £135 is top end of what they want to spend and get the feeling I'm pushing that :)

Archived