NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

7mm Planetary EP - Which One?

icewalking

Another EP help request thread I'm afraid! I've spent a long time looking at various options, reviews etc. and now my head is spinning!

I'd like a nice 7mm EP for planetary viewing with my 200p Dob. I've narrowed it down to one of these:

TS Planetary HR - £49

Celestron X-Cel LX - £69

Celestron Axiom LX - £135

The UW nature of the Axiom appeals to me, but given that I could buy almost 3 of the TS EPs for the same price I was wondering whether it also offers significantly better views than the other two, or whether the extra money is mainly for the UW AFOV?

I would say you have them correctly listed in order of quality. The Xcel LX are getting excellent feedback and probably be the better choice between the two 60 degree eyepiece's. If you decide to go down the 82 degree road i would throw a 7mm Nirvana into the mix. I haven't used the Axiom but have owned the 7mm Nirvana and it was excellent in my 8" dob.

I agree with Damo - the UWAN / Nirvana ultrawides are well worth considering too. I use the 4mm and it competes very well with the Pentax XW and the Nagler Type 6 that are either side of it in my set.

Well corrected, ultra-wide eyepieces are really nice to use in manually driven dobs :)

Can it be a coincidence that the quality goes up as the price increases too ? I have only heard positive things regarding the Celestron X-Cel LX, but I dare say the Celestron Axiom LX would win hands down.

i have both , i would not say that one of those is better than the other as they both do different jobs

Archived