NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Installing motor drive of the CG4

I have been looking aground and have found the kit at reasonable prices, though pictures show slightly different pieces depending on supplier. Like telescopes.com, amazon.com. Anyone knows why? Someone said one is for the " older type mount" ... ANY IDEAS? How do I get to know what type of mount I am getting if this has some validity. Maybe the suppliers have chosen to show some pieces and others a different set of pieces, but I am afraid of ordering.

I have a CG-4 mount that is a year or so old and ordered the drive motors from telescopes.com and they fit fine. I think it just depends on whose taking the pictures. The "older version" of this mount would be the super polaris and nothing I saw mentioned anything about a super polaris. Anyway, I don't think you have anything to worry about. If it says for a CG4 and you have a CG4 then I think your good to go.

clear skies,

Kurt

I have a C102-HD ( mentioned in the Amazon ad) on an "older" style CG4 mount. This mount looks identical to " modern" CG4 mounts except it has an aluminium tripod and does not accept dovetail fittings ( the scope bolts directly onto the mount). My CG4 has a single axis RA drive whose packaging and instructions are for a Skywatcher EQ3-2 mount. From this and what I have read elsewhere all CG4 mounts ( old and new) and the Skywatcher EQ3-2 mounts can use the same drives. Hope this helps

What else can you tell me? I bought this CG4: MOUNT which is white.

I hastily ordered the motor drive from amazon.com. I have no idea if they will be compatible, but amazon has been good on his policy for returned items, so if it does not work, I can return it. I still can cancel.

I hurried because my CG4 arrives on Thurdsday and I wanted everything to arrive the same day.

Cornelius I think I made a mistake!

Someone tell me, please , I did not make the wrong choice. I still have time to cancel the order.

Cornelius: I really appreciate the pdf on the EQ-3 installation procedure. The CG4 "instruction manual" is worthless! A shame. I don't think they have engineers trained in procedure making in Celestron. I would believe anyone returning the mount because they cannot install it. Uff!

Thanks again, as a contributor to this site, I am sure may persons will be grateful for this.

The clutches need to be tightened for the drives to work. If you can move the telescope by hand then the mount clutches are not engaged and the motors are not driving the mount.

Peter

Ohhhh¡;) i thought that would put a strain on the motors. Will do that next!

Btw: the parts were right, no problema there.

Archived