NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher Startravel 150 (HEQ5) - Good for DSOs?

Yes and yes to the first two questions. As far as filters are concerned that will depend on what you intend to observe.

I find the ST150 to be a great allrounder with short focus length and wide field of view. If you spend a bit extra on replacing the Synta focuser with the WO dual speed replacement you will find it could prove a favorite. Mine is!

Cheers

CW

I've got a ST150 and get a lot of use out of it, its a compact size but still has decent aperture.

Its good for DSOs but pretty poor on planets. Theres false colour and high mags are a pain to achieve due to the short focal length. If you can handle the extra size and you feel you might want to use the scope for planetary/ lunar stuff then the 150mm f8 model (Evostar) is a better all rounder IMHO.

I agree with Gaz. Having owned both 150 Startravel and Evostar, I would definitely go with the Evostar if you can handle the extra size and weight. The Startravel is a great DSO scope . The Evostar is a good allround scope.

Perhaps think about budgeting for a secondhand Skymax 127 to compliment it for planetary work.

Russ

Thanks for the advice.

The Startravel seems pretty compact - how much bigger/heavier is the Evostar? I wouldn't really be planning on moving it about much but I wonder if it might be a little more cumbersome to use? If the Evostar is better for both DSOs as well as planetary I it would seem the obvious choice, space in my loft permitting!

Thanks

I would agree with most of what Gaz and Russ say although I suspect they may also have imaging in mind and you do not mention this aspect in your post,Hipolito. For wide field DSO observing purposes I have found no problems with the ST150. If you find the slight violet edging on very bright objects not to you liking can always use a fringekiller.

The Skymax with it's 1500mm focal length is a winner in the high magnification stakes and offers superb close up views of the moon. However that is of course an entirely diffrent scope and I was under the impression you were just seeking comments on the ST150. If your budget will stretch to it get both because,as Russ says, they do compliment each other and widen the observer's choice. Allways a good thing!

CW

I had both scopes at various times - My Startravel 150 was one of the old Helios models and it unfortunately got stolen in a burglary. By the time it was recovered, the insurance company had replaced with an Evostar version. I just didn't like it and it got sold on eventually.

I sold the Startravel on and now wish I hadn't. It was a great all-round scope. Not so good on planets but more than acceptable for general viewing. I got some of the best views I have ever had of M42 through that scope. At that time, I wasn't really into imaging so don't how well it would have performed. I reckon quite well judging by the images I have seen on the buyers website. I would also agree that the focuser is not great, and the use of a fringe-killer filter is also recommended.

Definitely a case of hindsight being a wonderful thing.

When I have the money I am seriously considering getting another one. It's a little large for a true grab and go scope, but it does have the advantage over my 250mm reflector of being easy to set up (no collimation) and a shorter OTA makes Go-tos a little more accurate. Plenty of aperture as well. Given the sort of weather we get a scope you can take out and use quickly to take advantage of those all too brief clear periods has got to be a good idea.

There may be other candidates, but I think the Startravel 150 is up there with the best of them.

Geoff

Geoff

Just to muddy the waters further.... :wink: If you do go with the ST150 and 127 Skymax combo (which is a great idea BTW) you could probably save some money on the mount and go with a EQ5/ CG5 instead of a HEQ5 if money is tight. Neither scope really needs a HEQ5, the Evostar f8 version though is quite large/ heavy though and a HEQ5 is advisable.

I really like my ST150 but thats because I have other scopes for the planetary/ lunar side of things. I used to own a Helios ST150 that was my only scope at the time and I found it frustrating to use for planets and ended up selling it when I could just have bought a decent Mak or Apo to compliment it.

Archived