NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

H-alpha solar sketch: AR1429 (3-11-2012)

Roel

Finally, finally, finally! A clear day! The last week has been mostly cloudy with only a few minutes of sunshine at a time; too short to make a sketch of the Sun. But today started with a deep blue sky with just a few tiny clouds.

I set up my 90mm solar telescope around noon and made a sketch of AR1429, the region which might deliver northerns light in the night to come (a very rare sight in the Netherlands). The whole thing was swirling very slowly, changes could be noticed within minutes at 70x so I had to draw quickly. I would like to take a few hours to sketch all the tiny details, but because of the movements solar sketching is always a race against time.

I made the sketch with white pastel on black paper, later mirrored to match the real orientation (north up, west right. Color added with Photoshop.

Click on the image in this link for a larger version.

post-20258-133877745446_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys!

is this layers and masks ?which part did you draw and how much ps was used?

The only thing that's not original is the colour. No fancy digital editing, just some pulls at the "color balance". If you'd turn your monitor black and white, you'd see what the original sketch looks like. :)

Archived