Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Great views of planets, in LP red zone - why?

I live in an area with proper light pollution! I was quite worried I would not able to see a lot. However....

I used my scope and took it out for 4 days, with success! managed to find moon (duh), Jupiter and Saturn with great detail.

Now my question is, why has the LP not effected my view? Atm Im using 25mm and 10mm EP with 8" reflector and 1200mm aperture. Would LP only be obstruction when I use greater magnification then?

I feel like a lucky boy :)

Light pollution does not affect planetary observing fortunately :-) You are after all looking at midday on the planet, so it is pretty bright.

Double stars and globular clusters are also not affected by LP that much - basically anything that takes high magnification can be viewed successfully under orange skies.

Light pollution increases the background sky-glow and makes faint objects difficult or impossible to see. The naked-eye planets are very bright (even visible in daylight if you know where to look) and so are not at all affected by light pollution. Even Neptune and Uranus are not affected by light pollution but it can be hard to find them in a light polluted location.

Light pollution will mess up you views of extended faint objects such as galaxies and nebulae. Globular clusters fare somewhat better but are still shadows of their dark-sky selves if viewed from a city.

To answer your question, the opposite is true - the more magnification you use, the darker the sky background gets. This is why you can make the faint stars of a globular cluster pop out at high mag - the sky gets blacker, but the stars do not get fainter no matter how much you magnify them!

Archived