Polar Scope Alignment

Hello All,

Yes I'm new to all this, and still finding my way around, but delighted that there is such a useful, friendly forum that I can join, so thank you for being here!

At the moment I'm working to get my telescope up and running with everything properly aligned. The instructions with the scope/mount (a Skywatcher Explorer, with an EQ5 mount) talk about making sure the polar scope is properly aligned. (I don't know if it is yet, because I haven't checked) but the procedure seems straightforward enough. However, if - when I do check - it transpires that the polar scope does need adjusting, it tells you to do so, using the three small screws around the polar scope eyepiece. But they are really small and look like Allen keys. I dont have an Allen key small enough, and one wasn't supplied with the mount. Does anybody know what the correct tool is for adjusting these screws?

Regards.

I'm afraid you will need to buy one (not sure of the exact size though)but if you buy a cheap set of metric keys then you should find one that fits.there is a an excellent tutorial on polar aligning on Dion's website Astronomy Shed.that will help you with the alignment process.

I think you will find the screws are metric and in the order of being 3mm Allen socket types, you will probably be able to pick up a single key from a good tool shop, but for future use a full set will come in quite handy :)

Hello again,

Many thanks for your help., much appreciated.

I already have a couple of sets of allen keys knocking around the house (keen mountain biker) and each set includes some of the small ones. I have one with me now, its a 2mm allen key and is too big! I really do feel that the correct tool should be supplied or at least it should be available as an option, because a) I'm not sure of the exact size and :) given that it' seems to be <2mm, I'm not sure it will be that easy to pick up.

However, I still haven't gotten round to carrying out the alignment procedure, so don't know if it actually needs to be adjusted - it maybe OK; but it's nice to know that when it does need to be adjusted, you actually have the tools on hand to do it.

Thanks 182570, I'll check out Dion's website. Then perhaps shop online.

Happy stargazing.

I've recently bought an NEQ6 and the allen key was in the box in a small plastic bag. Has it fallen beneath the packaging? It is very small.

Calibrating the polarscope is quite simple - just as the instructions say. just remember, small adjustments are needed. My polarscope hardly needed altering, almost pin point accurate out of the box.

• 11 months later...

I'm currently making some improvements to my NQE6 mount. I'm having trouble finding the Allen Key. There was two in the box. One was really small - and it didn't fit!

Does anyone know the actual size Allen Key I need? The smallest I've got is 2mm in my set.

I want to remove the Grub screws for silver thumb screws.

Thanks ,

Reader.

I think its only about 1mm in size. I didn't get any with my mount either, but picked up a really cheap set from my local maplins. About £4 if I remember. The keys went down to really small sizes. Its quite an easy task if you have the right allen key for the job.

Sweet! Thanks for the help :)

Bit strange it wasn't supplied - perhaps a mistake in the factory?

I think its only about 1mm in size. I didn't get any with my mount either, but picked up a really cheap set from my local maplins. About £4 if I remember. The keys went down to really small sizes. Its quite an easy task if you have the right allen key for the job.

Archived