Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

St.Crispin

Cloudwatcher

Seeing as we are into Shakespearian quotations:

Perhaps when Will wrote this speech for Hamlet he was thinking of us poor amateur astronomers:

"I have of late--but wherefore I know not--lost all my mirth, forgone all custom of exercises; and indeed, it goes so heavily with my disposition that this goodly frame the earth seems to me a sterile promontory; this most excellent canopy, the air, look you, this brave o'erhanging firmament, this majestical roof fretted with golden fire--why, it appeareth nothing to me but a foul and pestilent congregation of vapors"

Perhaps he had been trying to get out and do some imaging!

Here we go again.

Our remedies oft in ourselves do lie,

Which we ascribe to heaven: the fated sky

Gives us free scope, only doth backward pull

Our slow designs when we ourselves are dull.

All's well, that ends well. Helena.

Don't know what it means, but as it has Sky, Heaven, and Scope in it. So, why not.

Ron. :wink:

Ron

I like that.

This is definitely my last offering or this could run and run. Not Shakespeare for a change, but Sappho of Lesbos (no smirking at the back)

The moon has set

In a bank of jet

That fringes the Western sky,

The pleiads seven

Have sunk from heaven

And the midnight hurries by;

My hopes are flown

And, alas! alone

On my weary couch I lie.

Classical literature is obviously full of thwarted astronomers.

Geoff

Classical literature is obviously full of thwarted astronomers.

Geoff

I am not sure about them being thwarted Geoff. Their skies were a lot better than ours. No street lamps, no security lights.

I can imagine the skies being wonderful way back then. The only things they would lack perhaps, is the all the cushty gear we have at our disposal these days. At least available to those who are well off enough to buy it. Or should I have said, those who don't have a watchdog watching their spending. :wink:

By 'eck! I misquote one line of the Bard's to illustrate the point that those who went to bed missed out on some clear skies and what happens, the joint turns into Poet's Corner! :wink:

If I had gone on to describe what I had seen as being....Of cloudless clime and starry skies and all that's best of dark and bright......you guys would have overloaded the server!

Oh and Geoff I had a huge smirk.....so there!

CW

By 'eck! I misquote one line of the Bard's to illustrate the point that those who went to bed missed out on some clear skies and what happens, the joint turns into Poet's Corner! :wink:

If I had gone on to describe what I had seen as being....Of cloudless clime and starry skies and all that's best of dark and bright......you guys would have overloaded the server!

Oh and Geoff I had a huge smirk.....so there!

CW

We might have to return to the days of yore my friend, because I fear we will only become The Dead Astronomers Society

Get It! Get It? Robin Williams? I just know you did. with an IQ of 280.

Ron. :cool:

Hey! we have to stop. I wave the Harry Potter wand tonight. And the skies will become as black velvet, with diamonds glittering as far back as to eternity. So, gird your scopes, and be prepared for nights bereft of sleep.

Oh!, how I pity those who have to toil in the sweatshops of commerce.

:wink:

Archived