Mobile phone photography

I've been looking for an adapter but have only been able to find this one (at a price)

Orion SteadyPix Telescope Afocal Adapter for iPhone - SCS Astro

Just holding the phone over the eyepiece has been quite successful although it can be fiddly holding it in exactly the right place. If you have the camera+ app on the iphone I recommend it as you can use the stabiliser feature of it to take sharper images.

post-32637-133877745009_thumb.jpg

£50! cough! splutter!

That's taking the mickey a bit.:)

A digital camera afocal adapter runs at less than half that price.

That looks interesting. I assume it would attach a camera via the tripod screw at the bottom? If so then you would need another adapter for the iphone to give you that screw mount. Something like this:

Genuine - The Glif - a Tripod Mount and Stand for iPhone 4 or 4S - UK Seller on eBay!

I've been looking for an adapter but have only been able to find this one (at a price)

Orion SteadyPix Telescope Afocal Adapter for iPhone - SCS Astro

Just holding the phone over the eyepiece has been quite successful although it can be fiddly holding it in exactly the right place. If you have the camera+ app on the iphone I recommend it as you can use the stabiliser feature of it to take sharper images.

'A bit fiddly'!! I have spent nearly an hour trying to line up the phone. Not working for me...

:)

'A bit fiddly'!! I have spent nearly an hour trying to line up the phone. Not working for me...

:)

If you hold the phone a couple of cms away from the eyepiece you can see the glow from the eyepiece (if you're looking at the moon), then you can move it closer and keep the image in the centre. When the phone is resting against the eyepiece you will see the view through the eyepiece on the screen.

Once you get used to it it gets easier. Even able to photograph Jupiter and its moons (although you won't be able to pick up the bands and surface details).

post-32637-133877745073_thumb.jpg

post-32637-133877745081_thumb.jpg

If you hold the phone a couple of cms away from the eyepiece you can see the glow from the eyepiece (if you're looking at the moon), then you can move it closer and keep the image in the centre. When the phone is resting against the eyepiece you will see the view through the eyepiece on the screen.

Once you get used to it it gets easier. Even able to photograph Jupiter and its moons (although you won't be able to pick up the bands and surface details).

Thanks for that. I have been trying to get Jupiter and her moons but no luck so far. It has now clouded over so no more experimenting for me tonight.

I will try doing it your way tomorrow.

Thanks for your help on this, I really appreciate it.

Archived