NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Newby needs help!

For DSO's the rule isn't necessarily magnification, many are pretty dim and magnifying them can make the resultant image too dim.

The choice is Barlow and eyepieces or eyepieces alone. I prefer eyepieces alone.

Guessing the scope is about f/5, giving a focal length of around 1250mm.

Throwing the idea of huge magnification out I would suggest:

Eyepieces only: 8mm and 12mm giving 156x and about 100x

Barlow and Eyepieces: 2x barlow and 15mm and 25mm

A 5mm eyepiece will give 250x, not sure how often you would get good results at 250x, not that often.

Just for information I have used the options available for the BST/Skyguider eyepieces for the eyepiece focal lengths. They have a good name and are typical focal lengths.

You could consider the TMB's, or the Celestron X-Cel's. As I assume the scope id fast I have not considered the plossl's.

A lot of the time for DSOs you'll want low power and a wide field of view, 30mm vixen npl or 32mm Meade 4000 are both well regarded eyepieces and not too pricey - those are 1.25" eyepieces. 2" eyepieces, which your scope can likely also take, will give even wider fields of view but cost quite a bit more

Archived