Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Eyepieces for a dobsonian skywatcher 200p?

Hi

I am new to astronomy and this is my first post and first telescope.

I would really like some advice on specific eyepieces

I have just bought a skywatcher 200p and it came with two eyepieces -a 10mm and 25mm.

Can any one give me some pointers on which eyepieces to buy so that i can see the planets with more clarity?

I was going to get a 2x barlow , is this a good idea?

Also what mid priced brands should I be looking at?

Thanks very much :)

Just bought a scope and I am buying the baader zoom which gives you 6 different viewing positions , it's about 165.00 but is meant too be very good quality , so not bad value when a single decent eyepiece is around 70 pounds .

Hello!

I recently got the same scope as you, and I was also looking into more eyepieces. The main issue comes down to how much you're willing to spend. Some people will advice buying just one or two extra EPs and buying good quality ones. Others will advise getting a set if you do not already have some other eyepieces (besides the ones your scope came with). I went for the set option and after some reading around I went for the Revelation photo-visual set because it had a good selection of eyepieces, a variety of filters and some fairly good reviews.

That's probably left you none the wiser and I'm sure others will be along soon to advise you in more depth, but I hope it gives you something to think about!

Still experimenting E.P's myself. My favorites mid price e.p's in my collection are BST Explorer/Starguider, Vixen npl, and my absolute favorite is my SW Aero ED 30mm. Depends on how much you want to spend really. Do a bit of research there are so many ep's available and what one person likes may not be to your liking. I have heard people say that some pieces in the Revelation set would not be used. Check out the eyepiece discussions on here too. Good luck.

Well, my set seemed to arrive with the usual free load of cloud, but I have had some use from them and I'm very happy with my purchase. I'm by no means experienced with reviewing eyepieces but they all seem to produce very clear, sharp images across most or the whole field of view. I'm particularly pleased with the 32mm EP from the set, with which on my first use I was able to locate and view the Andromeda galaxy despite there being close to a half moon flooding the sky. It's invaluable for star hopping too! I have tried all the EPs as well, albeit some only briefly. Saturn looked magnificent through the 9mm and the moon filter makes an appreciable difference in reducing glare and increasing comfort, even on a full moon.

The 32mm GSO Revelation is a very good eyepiece and was certainly my favourite and most used plossl. The 12mm and 9mm were also in the focusser a lot, depending on the viewing conditions.

I've since moved on to building a collection of Baader Hyperions which have a wider field of view that suits the 200P dob very well.

Archived