am i expecting to much..

hi to all

ive had my skywatcher 200p eq5 about a week and although i am very pleased with the shots ive been getting of the moon the rest is leaving me a little dismayed i get a wonderfull view of the orion nebula through the 25mm and the 10mm eyepieces and even the x2 Barlow is not too bad but as soon as i put my converted ms lifecam studio hd in there place i get well to say the least nothing at all i thought to myself that cant be right so i raised the scope up to orions belt and centered mintaka brought it into focus using the 10mm eyepiece then swapped over to the cam with no barlow and no eyepiece re focused and sure enough there was mintaka and a small body of light right next to it however that was it and all that i could fit in the frame on the pc so realy id like to know how do i get the view to zoom out to contain more stars same with the moon too close and had to make my images into mosaics to see the whole thing any thoughts would be most welcome ..i know the cam is not meant for this type of work but untill i save lots of pennies it will have to do and something is better than nothing they say oh and sorry if this sounds dumb but my head is starting to hurt thinking of solutions lol ..

I had a look through a Skywatcher 200p eq5 system last night.

To be honest I could not see a sigificantly different view from my 6SE I had out, earlier and later in the evening.

What did really surprise me was show much "shake" there was on focusing. The 6SE is much more stable by comparison.

Anyone else noted this?

If you get a lot of shake on a scope/mount combination it's a pretty good sign that the scope is undermounted. An 8" newtonian is much better placed on an HEQ5 which is a beefier and more weighty mount. You can reduce vibration with a motor focuser but you'll still be battling any breeze in the air.

Alternatively a smaller scope on the EQ5 will be relatively stable (6" newt, or a small appo for example) :D

With a lot of effort you will be able to get some images but a 200P is too much for an EQ5 if you have imaging in mind. A motor focuser does reduce shake when focusing.

cheers im planning on setting the groundwork a pier in my back garden with a view to building some sort of obb there to house it all and to cut back on the wind too as thats a major problem at the mo in the meantime im just going to practice the imaging side of things when time permits i can see already its going to be an expensive hobby to say the least lol a few little bits and a cannon eos 550d next on the menu though

Obviously you can't simply "zoom out." The magnification is fixed by the telescope's focal length. The area of sky you can capture is dependent on the focal length and on the area of the chip. Cheap chips have small areas so small field of views. You can buy focal reducers but, to be honest, the easiest thing is to buy a short focal length refractor. Before you do any of that, though, you should hunt around on Amazon for a good book on astrophotography. AP really is a hobby for which you need to do some reading.

ive already got 53 books (PDF) format which i am slowly making my way through lol i should think ill have plenty to read for the next year or two atleast untill i get my new camera ill only be doing webcam imaging. lx work will be nothing more than a good read till then along with the countless astronomy books im going to be a busy fella i thinks also theres the wife and if i bring another telescope home i think ill be the one in the garden for good lol anyway thanks for the advice peeps its all good all the time

Clear skies to you all..

Archived