The Imaging Source ( name)

Type colour FireWire camera without IR cut filter

Application FireWire CCD Imager for Astrophotography

Computer Interface FireWire / USB 2.0

Manufacturer The Imaging Source

Sensor CCD

Type progressive scan

Sensor specification Sony ICX204AK PDF

Format 1/3" ( the other is the same but 1/2 )

Resolution 1024 x 768 (786,432 pixels)

Dynamic range 8-bit

Exposure time 1/10000 s to 60 minutes

Gain 0 dB to 36 dB

FPS @ Max resolution 30 fps

Video formats @ Frame rate 1024 x 768, Y800 @ 30, 15, 7.5, 3.75 fps

Lens mount C/CS-mount

Power supply 8 V to 30 V via the FireWire cable

Current consumption approx 200 mA @ 12 VDC

Dimensions (H x W x L) 50.6 mm x 50.6 mm x 50 mm

Weight 265g

Max. temperature (operation) -5 °C to 45 °C

Max. temperature (storage) -20 °C to 60 °C

Max. humidity (operation) 20% to 80%

Max. humidity (storage) 20% to 95%

It might have been easier to say DBK21, DBK31 or DBK41. The '21 has a 1/4" sensor and is better at planetary imaging (fastest frame rates)but can also do lunar imaging. The *31 (1/3") is a better compromise between planetary and lunar imaging (good max frame rate) and the *41 (1/2") is better at lunar imaging than planetary because it has a slower max frame rate.

Peter

Well, actually DBK/DFK/DMK 31 and 41 aren't that good at planetary imaging (due to circular artifacts at max speed and slow framerate). Those are primarily for Moon and Sun imaging (and they do start to get deprecated by other competitive cameras).

For planets there is nothing like a DMK/DBK/DFK21AU618 :D

So if you want to start with solar system imaging - get DMK (mono) or DBK/DFK21AU618 (color) - for planets and small frames of the Moon. It's easy to buy from shops (although not very cheap). It also can do limited / basic DS imaging.

If you want something with bigger amount of pixels to also catch more Moon - Point Grey Chameleon camera would be better (from UK Point Grey reseller or few astro shops)... and there is even more depending on your budget or needs.

Sorry to highjack the OP's thread, but what's the wisdom on Firewire vs USB on the

D*K21A*618?

My laptop does has a 4 pin firewire connector, though I suspect frame rates will be limited by writespeed to the HDD.

Sorry to highjack the OP's thread, but what's the wisdom on Firewire vs USB on the

D*K21A*618?

My laptop does has a 4 pin firewire connector, though I suspect frame rates will be limited by writespeed to the HDD.

USB is easier to use, and Firewire should also provide 60 FPS with no problems. HDD should handle that easily.

Wat about a Opticstar DS-142C ICE these days?

For the price they are, i think it is good :D

But the big question is, Will it fit on a Meade ETX-125 ?

Opticstar - not recommended :headbang: ETX-125 is a very planetary/lunary scope so stick with a planetary camera for planetary/lunary imaging :)

• 5 months later...

Well, actually DBK/DFK/DMK 31 and 41 aren't that good at planetary imaging (due to circular artifacts at max speed and slow framerate). Those are primarily for Moon and Sun imaging (and they do start to get deprecated by other competitive cameras).

For planets there is nothing like a DMK/DBK/DFK21AU618 :)

So if you want to start with solar system imaging - get DMK (mono) or DBK/DFK21AU618 (color) - for planets and small frames of the Moon. It's easy to buy from shops (although not very cheap). It also can do limited / basic DS imaging.

If you want something with bigger amount of pixels to also catch more Moon - Point Grey Chameleon camera would be better (from UK Point Grey reseller or few astro shops)... and there is even more depending on your budget or needs.

Hi, my limited experience of the DBK31 and 41 (pre new chip) was that the ringing artifacts were somewhat improved upon in later camera software and maybe some registax tweaks.

I am very interested in the new chip DBK31 for a little extra sensitivity as on my 8" I found it hard to get good saturn images, whereas Jupiter was possible to get a nice end result through good frame rates / exposures.

What alternatives are out there to the DBK31 ? I have heard of the point grey cams but they seem a lot more expensive ... and more flexible e.g. proper ROI

Archived