Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mount suitable for Lunt LS60 and also ST102 or similar?

jonathan

I currently have an ST80 on the EQ1 it came with, it seems like a perfectly acceptable combination and I have enjoyed using it so far (though it is not a patch on my 8SE), I have also used the LS60 on this EQ1 with acceptable results, however I'm looking for something with a bit more stability for the LS60 and also an upgrade from the ST80, probably an ST102 or an Equinox Pro 100, mainly for planetary viewing.

The ST102 comes on the EQ1, which I take to be the limit of the EQ1, so how well would an EQ2 fare? I don't expect to do any photography on it, I have my NEQ6 for that, I would just like it as a grab and go set up that I can easily put away in the car and plonk on the ground vaguely pointing North.

I have read that the EQ3-2 is somewhat under-engineered in the tripod department, so I would like opinions on whether the extra expense over an EQ2 (which probably comes on the same tripod) would be worth it for me.

Also, what tube rings would I need - would I need two different sets for the 100 / 102 scope and the LS60? Does the EQ2 have a dovetail fitting or is it a screw thread like the EQ1?

And... if I have the EQ2 motor drive, would that be able to track the sun or is it only good for stars?

I don't know the smaller EQ mounts well enough to comment but the difference between solar and sidereal tracking rates is insignificant even for imaging the sun, let alone visual observing. (It amounts to about four minutes per day.) I never bother to switch the mount from sidereal.

I have my guide scopes attached so that I can swap them for the solar scope with minimum fuss which means I can use the LS60 on substantial EQ6 or Tak mounts. Could you not do something similar with your EQ6 setup?

Olly

I just want a small tripod / mount that I can put in the car or get out quickly, the NEQ6 is too big and heavy for that. Also, my usual observing position is partially hidden from the track of the sun so not ideal for doing both.

What is your budget? A GP2 photoguilder is a decent light weight GEM.

To be honest, the a EQ3 should be capable of handling a 60mm scope. I had problems with that tripod and EQ4, but only when it carried a heavy or a long OTA.

Why don't you use the SE mount? (assuming its the one with a standard dovetail holder). I use my SE for solar observing/imaging with a megrez90 and Lunt 50mm filter and it works well. The best bit is being able to use 'solar system align' using the sun as the alignment point as its dead simple :-) I think to do this you need to delve into the menus and find the sun menu (as for safety's sake, by default it won't let you choose the sun as a target or alignment point).

Helen

Interesting... I may try the SE mount at some point, but I need to sort out a pair of tube rings for it first, or acquire a second clamshell (would be good as I could more easily fit the sol finder).

I'm wondering about the CG line too, as the EQ line are not inspiring me at the moment. The CG-4 looks very nice, much like the NEQ6 but lighter. Should carry the LS60 or a 100 Refractor no problem.

Archived