Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

meade

Hi.

I don't know a lot about the LX10. It is a discontinued model I think. It does not have GOTO facility, just a hand controller for RA and Dec control. It does have enhanced coatings apparently. I have seen one write up on this model only.

The guy who bought it was highly pleased with it, but there again, what was his previous scope. Could have been a 4.5 or whatever, so the LX10 is bound to be an improvement. It's focal length is 2000mm. The central obstruction is not what you could say is small, so planetary definition suffers as a result. Deep sky imagery will require a focal reducer I suppose. I am being a bit vague here.

The way to work it out, is to decide how bad you need a scope like that, how much you reasonably want to part with, ask how much the seller wants for it. deduct 25% from that figure, If that falls below what you want to spend, make him an offer, and don't sound disappointed if he turns you down. If he is wanting money in a hurry, you may get lucky. Don't be too hasty, there are thousands of second hand scopes on sale somewhere.

Get Lucky.

Ron :wink:

Hi Ron

Thanks for your honest opinion. It is much appreciated. As I stated some time ago when I joined the forum, I am only a beginner and it is a minefield out there. I won't be getting the Meade now anyway as the advert was misleading. If you go onto the Telescope Shop website and go to the 'Used Equipment' section the second scope there is the Meade that I was interested in, and it shows a photo of it. When I rang the person who owned it they sent me photos of what they had for sale which were completely different to the photo on the website. Theirs was black with a wooden tripod and no motor drive, whereas the one on the website is shown with a tubular tripod with motor drive, and its blue. The owner told me they hadn't uploaded any images to the shop so I presume the shop must have added the photo, which is a bit naughty of them. I intend to phone them to find out what happened.

I am looking for a second-hand scope, 8" reflector, with a motor drive, dual if possible. If you know anybody who might have something in this category could you let me know and I'll contact them. I have seen possible items on the forum but you lot are too quick for me!!! :wink:

Thanks again.

Dave ,

Hi Ron

Thanks for your honest opinion. It is much appreciated. As I stated some time ago when I joined the forum, I am only a beginner and it is a minefield out there. I won't be getting the Meade now anyway as the advert was misleading. If you go onto the Telescope Shop website and go to the 'Used Equipment' section the second scope there is the Meade that I was interested in, and it shows a photo of it. When I rang the person who owned it they sent me photos of what they had for sale which were completely different to the photo on the website. Theirs was black with a wooden tripod and no motor drive, whereas the one on the website is shown with a tubular tripod with motor drive, and its blue. The owner told me they hadn't uploaded any images to the shop so I presume the shop must have added the photo, which is a bit naughty of them. I intend to phone them to find out what happened.

I am looking for a second-hand scope, 8" reflector, with a motor drive, dual if possible. If you know anybody who might have something in this category could you let me know and I'll contact them. I have seen possible items on the forum but you lot are too quick for me!!! :wink:

Thanks again.

Dave ,

You ought to complain too. That comes under misrepresentation, which is frowned on everywhere now.

It's not a nice thing to do, and there is no excuse that would be valid. Was there not a note under the pic stating that the image was not the one being sold. Even then, it would not be acceptable practice.

Ron.

It made me sit up and take notice at least. f/4 is imaging paradise as the subs would flood in very quickly indeed. The Schmidt Newt. 'scopes need collimating frequently, or so I've heard, to keep them working well so this might not be a beginner type 'scope. Really good deal though at that price.

Kaptain Klevtsov

I have an 8" f/4 Schmidt Newt' but it's been such a long time since it has been used for it's intended purpose I can't remember how to collimate it!

The Orion 200GPX in the Ad looks like a bargain especially as the Polaris dual drive is included in the price tag!

I'd go for it If I didn't already have the Meade.

CW

Hi everyone,

Rang the guy at the telescope shop about the misleading pic of the Meade, and he was very sorry but he was only going on what he had been discribed.

When I told him the seller had sent me pics of it and that it not the one as in the web site he agreed that it should'nt had been show and would remove it.

One good thing came out of it though! he will give me £125.00 for my Sky watcher 130 PM on EQ2 against exchange a skywatcher 200 with drive.

Has anybody tried to get all their gear back in the original boxes? took me a couple of hours and the I had one small box left over ! beats me how they pack them in the factories to start with. all's well that ends well Gromit! :wink:

Hi everyone,

Rang the guy at the telescope shop about the misleading pic of the Meade, and he was very sorry but he was only going on what he had been discribed.

When I told him the seller had sent me pics of it and that it not the one as in the web site he agreed that it should'nt had been show and would remove it.

One good thing came out of it though! he will give me £125.00 for my Sky watcher 130 PM on EQ2 against exchange a skywatcher 200 with drive.

Has anybody tried to get all their gear back in the original boxes? took me a couple of hours and the I had one small box left over ! beats me how they pack them in the factories to start with. all's well that ends well Gromit! :cool:

You should have held out for £250 :wink: All's well that ends well.

Ron. :lol:

Has anybody tried to get all their gear back in the original boxes? took me a couple of hours and the I had one small box left over ! beats me how they pack them in the factories to start with. all's well that ends well Gromit! :wink:

Nice one!

Only two hours to re-pack and you only had one small box left over!! You must do a lot of jig-saw puzzles in your spare time!

After the third day of my attempts the wife made a phone call and two big men wearing white coats arrived at the door in an unmarked vehicle...........I'm fine now...honest!

Archived