Tal x 3 Barlow Lens 1.25"

good morning

i have a skywatcher liner 200p dob with 6mm 10mm 25mm ep,s now looking at the planets they do seem a bit small

i can see jupiter with some detail and bands and venus mars was red and i struggled to see any real detail.

now i want to increase magnifacation so i can look at the planets more closley and see more detail ie mars polar caps

more detail on jupiter ect. now would this help me tal x3 barlow lens.

i just want to get nicer closer and more detail when looking around

thanks

steve

Indeed, your 6mm will be about the limit on all but the best of nights. Most people use an 8mm for nice crisp images from a 200p.

Trust me, it doesnt take long for your brain/eyes to learn how to pick out detail from tiny objects. After just a few weeks with a scope, i had gone from seeing jupiter as a small ball with 2 stripes, to a small ball with 4 stripes, an easily visible GRS, and swirling festoons among the belts etc. just spend time at the eyepiece, it'l come.

hi steve , you can work out how much mag any given ep will have in your scope by a simple equation ... focal lenght of scope in mm divided by focal lenght of ep in mm ..

so for you scope and a 6mm ep the equation is

1200mm divided by 6mm = x200 mag ...

you will not be able to use much more mag than this in the uk due to the "seeing" conditions we have

you said in your post you wanted to be able to see the polar caps on mars ... many people have saw these with 130-150mm scopes ,so you will be able to see them with yours .. you might have to spend some time studying the planet ..half an hour or more as the seeing changes a lot .

a barlow will not help . a x3 barlow with the 6mm ep will give 600 times mag ..well beyond the capabilitys of just about any scope in the country . even a x2 barlow will make your 6mm give x400 mag ..the most experianced observers reckon they use is 200 or 250 at a push :D

Apologies for piggybacking into this thread. I've got the 6SE Nexstar which came with the 25mm eyepiece. I also got a cheapy 9mm with it at the time. I've enjoyed making out some detail on Jupiter (very exciting) and got a really good look at Saturn (even more exciting). I have also made out some of the (very) faint fuzzies too and got fairly good views on some of the clusters etc

I have recently purchased the Baader Hyperion MkIII zoom (8mm-24mm). Not arrived yet, but imminent. It seemed well reviewed on here, and as a beginner I was attracted to not having to mess around with too many eps.

I've read a fair bit on here about eps and maximum magnification available with UK seeing etc. With the 6SE I assume the 8mm end of the zoom will give me about 187 times mag. Is it worth me getting a good 6mm to supplement the new zoom and take my maximum up to 250 (may be pushing it?) or get a Barlow x2 to just turn the 12mm setting of the zoom into 6mm? Likewise is it worth getting a 32mm, to maximise my lower mag availability?

Looking forward to the new Hyperion ep, and hopefully it will meet all my needs, but interested to know what I should ultimately be aiming for with an ep collection?

Is it worth me getting a good 6mm to supplement the new zoom and take my maximum up to 250 (may be pushing it?) or get a Barlow x2 to just turn the 12mm setting of the zoom into 6mm? Likewise is it worth getting a 32mm, to maximise my lower mag availability?

Looking forward to the new Hyperion ep, and hopefully it will meet all my needs, but interested to know what I should ultimately be aiming for with an ep collection?

Those are all questions that only you can answer unfortunately. My advice would be to just spend some time with the zoom, after a while you'l see what you use most, and what you'd like ontop of that. I suspect eventually you'l want the 6mm for those extra special nights, but for most of the time it'd sit in your EP case.

As for the 32mm, again, it's up to you. Due to the long focal length of the scope you'l never get amazingly wide views, so a hulking great 2" ultrawide eyepiece might be restricted by the scope... I imagine the average 32mm plossl would be fine though.

Thanks J-J-J-J,

Yep, was hoping the zoom would meet all my needs and look forward to testing it out. Just read so much about magnification and eps, that it gets confusing. 99% of my viewing will be back garden, so given the lp and seeing, I'd reckon the zomm will suffice. As you say, it's going to about what suits me best I suppose and I won't know that for some time yet

Regards

Archived