Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Guiding and Imaging

Hightower

Just stumbled on a few posts that say it's impossible to focus a 130p with a DSLR, but then found this thread (images on last post), checked my scope and it seems it can do that too.

http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-discussion/60776-what-else-do-i-need.html

So going to take the plunge and buy the camera, and give that a go. If it fails, at least we have a half decent camera for our honeymoon.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How can you afford time to worry about dSLR's, shouldn't you be planning :D... I recall we spent a long time planning...

I don't know Nikon, so I can't really comment... I'm sure it's a good camera, but Canon has much more software support for astro use than Nikon, so Canon would be a better bet. Keep an eye on MPB, the list of available kit is very fluid, and what sells one day is often replaced with another within 2 or 3 more.

How can you afford time to worry about dSLR's, shouldn't you be planning :D... I recall we spent a long time planning...

I don't know Nikon, so I can't really comment... I'm sure it's a good camera, but Canon has much more software support for astro use than Nikon, so Canon would be a better bet. Keep an eye on MPB, the list of available kit is very fluid, and what sells one day is often replaced with another within 2 or 3 more.

Ok, will hold off and go for a Canon. Cheaper lenses too.

Yeah - we booked the wedding this time last year, so it's all sorted. We're both pretty organised people so it was sorted 9 months ago lol.

Don't know the prices of all the Canon EOS cameras but I've recently bought a "used" 1100D body from Amazon for £233. Like new with all the usual accessories inc. software CD. The 1100D is almost the lowest noise of all up to date only being beaten by the 600D I think. It also has amp off circuitry included so no amp glow. It has all the requirements for AP.

Don't know the prices of all the Canon EOS cameras but I've recently bought a "used" 1100D body from Amazon for £233. Like new with all the usual accessories inc. software CD. The 1100D is almost the lowest noise of all up to date only being beaten by the 600D I think. It also has amp off circuitry included so no amp glow. It has all the requirements for AP.

I think I'm going to hold off until after the wedding (80 days now) and get something then. I've done no observing since getting the new scope - just jumped in and started photographing - so going to just enjoy observing until then. Then I might have a little more money so I can spend a bit more on a better camera (rather than spending some now and wanting to upgrade it again straight away).

Archived