Newbie £400 scope advise.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've just placed the order.:D

Window shopping wasn't enough so I ordered the 200p from First light optics.

I've noted down all the recommended extras so I can get some goodies next week.

Fingers crossed for a clear night when it arrives.

Danny.

I've just placed the order.:D

Window shopping wasn't enough so I ordered the 200p from First light optics.

I've noted down all the recommended extras so I can get some goodies next week.

Fingers crossed for a clear night when it arrives.

Danny.

No chance Danny, as soon as you open the box it lets out clouds, Did with mine anyway

Don't bother with the laser pointer. It's more likely to get you shouted at at star parties!

true but at a small gathering with friends and casual observers it can be a real aid to learning aswel (though completely unessential I'm the first to admit)

Which 200p did you go for Danny - the Dob or the EQ?

Yes mate I went for the Dob.Later on I had an email saying its not in stock,which I was gutted about.

All is not lost though because I found another place,discount digital they're called.They have an eBay shop with good feedback and they have a website that shows stock levels.

They have 7 in stock.

so hopefully it'll be dispatched tomorrow and then I'll pick up all the accessories from First light optics next week.

The more reading I do on here the more stuff I stick on my wish list.I can see where this is going.:D

Danny.

I'd try a Dob before you buy one.

Admittedly I started with an EQ because I intended to start imaging, but have since tried a Dob and found it very difficult to get on with. Especially at high magnification, I found it awkward to keep something in view for long and couldn't nudge it smoothly enough. The image just jumped out of the FOV.

Polar alignment is not as difficult as it seems at first, and once you have done it a few times, it becomes second nature.

I don't suppose theres any right or wrong answer to this one Mike (unless A/P is your thing) - all I can say as a Newb myself is I haven't found any issue at all with the Dob - in fact I find it really easy to pick up and go but I guess the answer is if your able to check both types of scopes out its always best to try before you buy - go to your local astronomy society or group perhaps but when the bug hits you its hard to hold back I'm sure a lot of people, me included, have been there.

hi and welcome Mr Moff, i havent been a member too long myself and the guys on here are great with help and lots of patience so ask lots of questions hehe sorry guys :-) just to give an idea i had a budget of £400 total and wanted to buy my second scope but a decent one, anyway after chatting with a few people on here i decided on an explorer 200p on an eq5 mount, only arrived yesterday and havent tried it yet but am pleased so far and was in budget too. Explorer 200P (EQ5) With Free DVD | Telescopes | Rother Valley Optics. hope this helps.

Thanks for the replies.What a great forum.

I had an email this morning that it's been dispatched so I'm probably going to be sat in the window waiting for the delivery.

I've added all the accessories that everyone has recommended to the wish list on FLO ready for next week.

I hope there's a nice clear night over the weekend.I had a look outside about 1 am this morning and there wasn't a cloud to be seen.

Danny.

Archived