NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Barlow to use with CCD webcam

ejwwest

I have recently bought an imaging source DFK21AU618 to use for planetary imaging with by EdgeDH 925 scope (with Moonlite focuser). I have a 20 year old 2x barlow I got from Orion n their Santa Clara shop so probably not a high quality barlow and 2x isn't enough for Mars. A 5x Powermate looks rather steeply priced right now but I've seen Revelation 5x Barlows reasonably priced (~£40). Does anyone have any experience of this barlow for this type of application? Would I still be better advised going for a higher quality option given the other parts of the imaging system are (meant to be) high spec?

I think I have terrible seeing where I live so that may be the problem and going OTT on a powermate may not fix that.

Thanks

Powermate is pricey but the effects are dramatic - having just bought one last week I can see the improvement already - and I have a 3 element Apo Barlow.

If theres any budget left don't ruin the excellent set up you have by buying a cheap Barlow...

Jarvo

Thanks, though this advises going no higher than f/30 (so a 3x Barlow in my case) whereas others (including the March Astronomy Now) recommends going as high as f/50 (so a 5x). Anyone got any experience as to which to go for? It does seem my cheapo Orion 2x Barlow is the weak link in my setup.

The degree of magnification you can sensibly use will alter with seeing conditions and the target. The better the seeing and the brighter the target, the more you can ramp up the magnification.

I use an 8" SCT (F10). For the Moon, if seeing is average (i.e poor) I will stick 2x or no barlow. If the seeing is excellent I will sometimes use 3x or even 4 x barlow. For Jupiter, I use my 2x barlow if the seeing if moderate and my 3x or 4x if the seeing is good. For Mars, I use my 3x barlow,or if the seeing is excellent, my 4 x barlow.

I have a Celestron Ultima 2x barlow, a Televue 3 x barlow and an Astroengineering 4x Imagemate barlow.

Archived