Explorer 200P, 200PDS or Skyliner 200P

I'm looking to buy my first telescope, as well as visual I'm also thinking of astrophotography as where I will end up long term. I have a budget of around £500, which I know won't touch imaging so I'm looking at upgrade paths. I have read many threads on SGL and have been lead to the 200P thanks to all the recommendations for the Skyliner 200P, which is the scope I initially planned to buy.

I'm looking at visual observing starting out but as I already own a Canon EOS450D it makes sense to use it. This got me looking more towards the 200P + EQ5 mount which I've now also read will be pushing it too its limit if I start to add a dSLR to the mount. Unfortunately the HEQ blows the budget straight off. Where as the 200P+EQ5 combination does have an attractive price point of £400. I have also had a look at the more imagining oriented 200PDS which would add another £120 to the costs but I would have to buy an EQ5 mount with this as well.

I haven't seen many posts about the pro's and con's of the 200PDS over a standard Explorer 200P (or even over a Skyliner 200P). I realise the PDS has a shorter tube length to improve focusing for astrophotography and features a better focuser compared to the Explorer 200P. I had thought of buying the dob and later just using that tube on a new mount, but the Skyliners tube has a 1200mm focal length, makes me think this wouldn't be the best choice of scope to use later on for imaging given the PDS has gone shorter to aid imaging.

My plan at this point would be to start out with say the 200PDS and EQ5, with a view to later purchasing an HEQ5 Pro or maybe even the NEQ6 Pro. At that point I would maybe look to sell the EQ5 to recoup some of the initial outlay. An alternative would be to just concentrate on visual for now and go for the 200P dob and then later on think about the best scope for imaging once I have a decent mount.

The only thing I am sure about is I would rather pay my £500 upfront for decent optics and not on GOTO at this point. Should I stick with the Skyliner option, or go for an Explorer with a 200P or PDS ? Or is there a better option I haven't considered. I will be garden viewing with some light pollution.

I have also recently joined my local astronomy society and attended my first meeting, which unfortunately wasn't a viewing session so I didn't get to look through any telescopes. They have been very helpful though, and their advice at the moment is to hold back and not jump in, to keep asking questions and attending their meetings whilst I gain more knowledge. Unfortunately I'm itching to get going whilst we still have some dark evenings.

Phil

It's tough when you are itching to get out there! One possibility would be the second-hand market, as long as you don't mind second-hand stuff! Most astronomers look after their kit very well, and you just might find what you're looking for at a good price. For example, a 200P on an HEQ5 with dual axis motor drives (i.e. not GOTO) was recently sold on ABS (Astrobuysell) for £450.

http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/

It may be worth thinking about ....

Hi there... observing-sessions would be more handy...get to see the 'scopes in the flesh & see what they can do.

you could use a web-cam with any of the above options...although I mainly use a Dob..I think I would go for the 200pds on EQ5...then part-exchange it when funds allow for the up-grade...Astronomia in Dorking do a 100% buy-back when upgrading within 12 months...I don't know if other shops do the same deal or not

I have just bought myself the 200pds, CG5-gt (see youtube, as I find the grinding is no worse than the high pitch shrill from an HEQ5 pro), as the CG-5 Gt is an uprated eq5 , but it is rock solid, and the tracking software/hardware is bang on accurate.

I was offered a 150P with a CG5-GT second hand, but I'm a bit unsure about what I'm buying at the moment, so second hand seemed a bit of risk without further research. the price asked was also more than I really wanted to spend given that I'd also settled on an 8" reflector so wasn't sure if the 150P was for me. The mount I hadn't heard of so I did a quick search and it was showing as being an EQ5 body on a sturdier tripod and I wasn't sure if it would have similar issues to an EQ5 as far as being on its weight limit for imaging. Quite a few people's reviews also mentioned the loud noises when slewing and the possibility of waking the neighbours. :)

Have you tired your 200PDS with a dslr attached to it ?

Not as yet, I think I may go down the ccd sensor cam tbh, but undecided.

But as G0ibi says, just rebalance the scope via the dovetail bar if you are worried, and Dobby is correct, when tracking and shooting, the mount make a barely audible noise, and just about moving.

I was offered a 150P with a CG5-GT second hand, but I'm a bit unsure about what I'm buying at the moment, so second hand seemed a bit of risk without further research.

The 150P on a EQ5 or CG5-GT would be fine for imaging; what you lose in apperture, you may well make up for by the fact that it is less weight on the mount. Of course, it would depend on how much you were paying 2nd hand? Check what the new price would be, and that will give an idea of 2nd hand value :)

The 150P / CG5 would be a great combo if the price was right. Since the 150P and 200P (& 200PDS) are both f/5 the difference in aperture is irrelevant. They will give the same image brightness but the 150P will show you more sky. Beginners often misunderstand aperture when it comes to imaging. You don't need a huge telescope.

Visual use is different, here aperture is paramount, but if your interest leans more towards imaging the mount is the most important bit of kit. Then the camera.

Archived