Goto Handset

I have read a few things about the goto handsets being interchangeable with auto tracking units but I wonder if someone could clear it up.

Are all the synscan handsets flashable to work on an alt-az mount? What connector would it need if it's from an Eq mount?

I have seen threads saying they are compatible and some saying they aren't.

My auto track connects to the scope with a telephone type plug at the scope end.

The Skywatcher SynScan handsets are only flashable on versions later than 2.05 ...I think!

I've got one of the early versions..2.05 and its definately not flashable...

The laer versions 3 and are above are...so check which version you have..

The SW auto track flextube handsets are interchangable with the Synscan AZ Goto handsets from version 3.0 and above. No flashing required - but allways best to get the latest version of the software for handset and motors. Make sure you get the AZ version and not the Equatorial handset which has different pinouts.

What I did was buy a small AZ Goto mount and switched the handsets, so I had a small but brand new auto tracking mount to sell on. The net upgrade cost me about £120 including postage and packing. Hope that helps ;)

Archived