NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Bigger & Lighter Celestron Models? (CPC 1600 or CPC 2000)

Hi all,

I love my CPC 800, however one day in the next 10+ years i might go bigger. I don't think the 1100 is that much of a huge step up, but in the near future do you think manufactures like Celestron will make bigger scopes but out of lighter materials to keep the weight down. One way would be to make the arms as strong, but thinner.

Im sure it must be possible to make for example a CPC 1600, but still keep the price and weight down? Also the current CPC range has been around for about 5-6 years. When do you expect to see new versions available?

• 2 weeks later...

Supply and demand. Whats a fascinating hobby for us is a business to Celestron.

Sure they could *make* such a scope. They could probably make a CPC 5000 as well. Question is who would buy one? Much above the 1100 and you are in permanent observatory land because of the problems that would ensue setting up such a large instrument. That rules out a vast swathe of potential customers. It would not make business sense to make such an aperture.

Steve

Meade makes 16" SCTs but that's something not lightweight. At such sizes SCTs don't scale as nice as they do on smaller apertures. The only option for lightweight telescope at 14-16" is a planetary Dall-Kirkham or Cassagrain :)

Some time ago this was produced: Pointing a Sword, or better... a "Gladius" at the Heavens! - but was much more expensive than a SCT.

What about a cgem 1400. Be heavy but prob the only scope available at the minute that would be such a major step up from the gear you have. I've a cpc 800 myself and I've looked through a cpc 1100 and it's a big step up IMO

Archived