Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

skywatcher 150p focuser question...

Can anyone tell me if the 150p has a crayford or R+P focuser? I read somewhere that all Skywatchers now have a Crayford, but having seen the price of this part alone I'm guessing not...?

Can anyone confirm?

Thanks ;)

Wow, Thanks for the lightning response David!

I checked and was told it was the latest model (received in the shop at christmas) therefore it would be a Crayford. I went and bought it boxed up without checking based on this assurance only to find out that it is in fact R+P ;) When will I learn....!!

Being very new to this I'm not too sure how much of an effect this will have other than sloppy focussing, (which is why I asked about the Crayford focusser) but I am very disappointed that it's not what I was told. The scope is a birthday present for my son and he is over the moon about it and the things we've seen through it tonight, so I'm not looking forward to the thought of having to send it back... What's your opinion of the differences between the two systems? And will we appreciate that difference in use?

Thinking a little more, I'm telling myself it won't be a problem for some time to come, but I would like to put my mind at rest ;)

Hi Dave,

I can't help on the difference between the two as I'm new myself, but the Crayford seems ultra smooth.

Try taking it back to where you bought it from and state the Sale of Goods Act. In your case the goods were 'not as described'. They should exchange it or give you the Crayford free of charge.

Its worth a try.

The older blue tube 150P had a R&P. Is yours black and sparkly or blue?

Are you sure it's the 150P (F=150 D=750) and not the 150PL (F=150 D=1200)? The newer black diamond 150P has shipped with a 2"/1.25" Crayford focuser since late 2009. I bought mine in Jan 2010 and it has a Crayford. The longer 150PL still has the 1.25" R&P focuser though.

There is nothing wrong with the R&P focuser provided you intend to stick with 1.25" eyepieces and don't want to hang a DSLR off it but if you are not happy that it is not as advertised, then send it back for the model you want.

I read every where that it came with a crayford i only bought it about 2 to 3 weeks ago and when i recieved it its a rack and pinion and not only that the left hand focuser bar and wheel are bent to hell and FLO are not replying to my emails as it was sent this way as the box is damaged exactly where the focuser was laying GUTTED.

Yes it must actually be a 150pl as it's FL=1200

I'm not going to bother with a DSLR for the reasons you gave Rik and also because it's really just to get my son started so I think it will serve him well. He's got the hang of setting it up and finding his way around the sky already and he's loving it. I did get an Xbox cam for it today though and grabbed a pic of a very cloudy moon tonight to test it and I'm well impressed! I'm thinking I could enjoy doing some AP myself now, so might have to invest in another scope for me too!! LOL!

Archived