Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Can I use a Nikon D40?

I have a Nikon D40 SLR camera and I'm wondering whether I could use it for Astro Imaging. I have a Celestron Astromaster 130 telescope but I can't see anyway of attaching the camera to it. Any ideas? I've never done imaging before.

I don't know the details of your scope, but I used a D40 and a D40x quite successfully with my C6N. I think that they are quite a good choice as they are nice and light.

However, I seem to recall that there may be an issue with achieving focus with any DSLR on your scope - there may not be enough back-focus... See for example http://stargazerslounge.com/beginners-help-advice/174146-help-telescope-camera-set-up-problem.html

HTH, Ian

Thanks, looks like I need to start off by getting some sort of adapter

If I were you. the first thing I'd do is remove any adapters that are screwed on the draw-tube of your focuser (basically, unscrew / take off anything that will come off) and then see if you can get a focused image by holding the camera body up to the draw-tube. You'll be able to tell the difference between blur dur to camera shake and an out of focus image. You can do this in daylight, of course, so long as you are focusing on something that is far enough away (I seem to recall 40 metres is close enough to infinity for this purpose, but I may be wrong and further away will be better).

Archived