Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Eyepeice Question

Pat Dunne

I have a Celestron CPC 9.25, which I use with Celestron Ultima LX 17mm and a 8mm eyepieces. I have the scope for about a year and the EP's for about 3 / 4 months. I don't get to use the scope that often due to work and loads of cloudy nights here in Dublin.

While viewing Jupiter recently I noticed that when I use the 17mm I have no problem focusing the planet and moons and can easily see the bands, although I find the planet a bit small to see much detail such as the Red Spot etc. When I use the 8mm I find it very difficult to focus on the planet and usually give up in frustration and go back to the 17mm. I also find this to a degree with Deep Space objects. I have the standard focusing set up on the scope. My own opinion is that the 8mm is a tad to powerful for the scope.

Would it be worthwhile to go looking for a similar EP in the 10mm to 12mm zone or should I look into getting a Starlight Instruments Featherlight micro focus set up. Or would the scope need collmination?

As ever your ideas opinions and answers are very welcome :D

You have close to 300x, atmospheric conditions will not enable that magnification very often.

Nice scope but try 200x ~12mm eyepiece.

Conditions may allow 250x occasionally, a 10mm means 234x.

I would go for a 12mm, the BST/Skyguiders are £41 and do a 12mm offering. You would find that plossl's should work easy in the scope, they are a bit less.

Celestron X-Cel's are £69 - FLO, they have a 12mm EP.

Cheers Capricorn, it looks like I've gone a bit strong with the 8mm.

I have tried the X-Cel LX's in the past and found the Ultima LX's to be a better eyepiece. Based on your advice I will give the 13mm Ultima LX a go.

For many deep sky objects you could do with a lot less magnification and a wider field of view than you currently have. Something like a 32mm - 40mm eyepiece, preferrably a 2" with a nice wide field of view, would be great.

Archived