Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Limiting Factor on a Skytee2

CGolder

I am looking at my skytee 2 and trying to work out why it is only rated at 15kg each side.

I have a 2" CG5 tripod which is pretty much like an eq6, so why is the eq6 rated higher than the Skytee? the saddles are a weak point so think about replaceing these with ADM losmandy ones.. so whats the weak point from here... whats to stop this mount holding a 12" reflector or 14" sct? :D throwing things in the air here, the mount appears very heavily engineered compared to even an eq6

Have you seen the size of a 14" SCT?

A CG5 tripod isn't large or stable enough for a 14" SCT. I haven't seen a Skytee mount so can't comment on that. Alot of times with Altaz mounts it's the tripods being used that lets the system down.

You'll probably get away with a C11 etc.

I've seen and used a 14" SCT. No way would a Skytee 2 handle it.

The one I borrowed was not entirely happy with the 12kg Meade AR6 refractor that I tried on it though the dovetail clamps undermined confidence most of all.

Archived