Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

USB Hub Recommendation

Stephen

I'm looking for a USB hub to meet the following requirements:

• Unpowered (this is important!)
  • USB-B socket for fly lead to PC (reasonably important to me as I don't like micro-B or mini connections.)
  • 4 USB-A sockets for devices (three powered, one unpowered.)
  • Must be able to run one unpowered device (so no power drain from the hub itself.)
  • Small enough to velcro to mount head.

I purchased a D-Link DUB-H4, problem it's not documented that it needs to be powered! It will run without the power cable, but the drain from the flash LEDs or whatever is inside means no device can run from it unpowered :D

Any suggestions?

I've been looking for something similar myself Kheldar but as you point out some features are undocumented !

I might try and convert an in car USB phone charger run 5v into a hub I already have.

Not sure if running that voltage into one of the ports has the same effect as powering the hub though !

I've been looking for something similar myself Kheldar but as you point out some features are undocumented !

I might try and convert an in car USB phone charger run 5v into a hub I already have.

Not sure if running that voltage into one of the ports has the same effect as powering the hub though !

Me and electronics don't really go hand in hand. (Other than DSLR mod I guess, but that's just tear down and build up.)

I've got a guy at work who can do odd bits of soldering for me, other than that it's off the shelf please! :D

That looks like it will do the job.

I've got a small 7 port generic hub that works now but I'm running too much off it for it to be unpowered and ascom locks up occassionally due to this.

I've got a mains driven 5v transformer that came with it but the lead is about 20 cm long and I don't fancy hanging it underneath the mount with condensation dripping off it out in the open.

I do run from the mains but via an RCD socket into the house. I'm sure I only need to drop the 5v somehwere into the mix at the hub end but could be wrong as a 7 port is in effect 2 hubs joined together.

I've also got a powerpack that has a small inverter in it, not sure how long that would last powering up the hub, suppose I could give it a whirl an find out. It's not like I need clear skies to test it !

Archived