Hi help on a camera please

Hi all,im very new to astronomy and only just bought a 8inch dob other day,i have bought a few eyepieces but i realise i need to upgrade them sometime with better ones.i have chance of a fugifilm finepix s1600 camera would this be any good for taking photographs if i attach it to my telescope?any help much appreciated.thanks

Dobsonians are for visual not photography. Moon will be possible, it is bright so needs a short exposure, should get away with 1 or 2 seconds or less.

The Finepix if I recall has a fixed lens, so not really useable, you normally use a DSLR , remove the lens and attach the body to the scope. Thus the scope is acting as the camera lens. Set the camera body to Manual set exposure time and press go. What comes out first may have to be adjusted depending on the image.

hi there , you need to have a good look throught the imageing section on here , there are 100s of posts on this .

compact cameras are not really suited to taking pics with telescopes ,but you can get a digiscope mount thing .... dslr is what you really need

dob telescopes cannot do long exposure dso photogrhphy , you would need an eq type mount and a dslr

you could get some pics of the planets with a webcam and a dob :D

ok thanks for your quick replys,i never realised some telescopes are better than others for photography which is what i was really interested in.i been having a look at the members photos every day and am facinated,i realise its complicated but i thought id be able pick it up in time,maybe i need another scope for photography.

most astrophotographers will say a motorised eq5 type mount is the minimum requirment ... with a small reflector or refactor scope .

you can get pics of the moon and planets with the dob . use a webcam .

when i got my first scope i simply pointed my camera down the ep and wiggeld till i saw them moon a pressed the shutter !!! give it a go !!!!:D

yeah thats what i thought i be able to do hemmihaggis,thought i could buy a camera and adapter focus it in, look through the view finder on the camera,see a pretty picture click snap? i honestly thought thats how everyone took photos haha, i realise some take videos but iwould be happy with pictures.

yeah its quite a learning curve ..lol , using a dslr most astophotograhers take long exposure pics of 30sec up to several mins at a time (leaving the lens wide open to capture even the faintest light) ... then they "stack" the expusers toghther to make one composite image ... many hours of images and hours of processing go into these images ..

:D

yeah i just reading up about stacking images,i know realise why i would struggle its becasue my mount is a push and nudge and i need a mount that tracks the planets as they move out field of view and would be hard to take photos.to be honest i probably get away with it with the moon if i used a large eyepiece so i could get full moon in.ive looked at the moon,and jupiter i can see the moons but to be honest jupiter has no colour its just a white dot.i stick with the moon, just waiting for it to come out bit more.im pretty limited at what to look at as they just seem like dots,venues looks really bright cant see ****** all lol.i need read up on my idiots guide to astronomy lol

You should see more than that on Jupiter. Is your collimation correct? Also, do not view planets when your eyes are dark-adapted. Dark adapted eyes can't see color, but they do get dazzled easily. You don't need night vision to look at midday on Jupiter :-)

You should be seeing browns and creams and a little salmon pink in the red spot if you are lucky. The moons have color too - yellow for example.

Paul you should still be able to easily do some simple astrophotography of the moon by holding the camera but to the eyepiece and taking exposures, sometimes referred to as projection or afocal projection. Your dob should be pretty well suited to this, focus to infinity if you can and take pictures manually at different ISO's and exposures and see what you get.

you should be able see some good detail on the planets with an 8" dob ... you should see the bands on jupiter and a little colou,r dusty brown reddishness , and 3 or 4 moons , venus will look great , mars is visable just now .. try higher magnification on the planets ..

then you have all the galaxies and nebulas and clusters to view ,double stars ect :D

do you have stellarium ...

check out the messier list

thanks lads apprecitate your help,i was told the collimation is spot on when i bought the scope of someone that lives close,he has a 12inch dob and he seems know what he talking about so i believed him.i bought some eyepieces from a friend but i starting to think i may need better ones,i have a 25mm 20 and 10.maybe i need a smaller one.i been looking into a barlow lense 2x or 3x that could also help i guess.or maybe it could be the street lamp thats affecting the colours? i need take it into a field when i get bit more use to it.im gonna give the camera thing a go of the moon when its out spikey

never heard of stelleruim? i have apps on my phone showing me where all the planets etc are,but honestly when i view them its just a white spot apart from the moon i can see many craters.i only have them eyepieces so maybe i need bit better ones?

Collimation does not stay 'spot on' - it needs maintenance, but is not hard to do (so I'm told).

Your scope is capable of so much more - don't get discouraged.

Stellarium is free, google it :-)

I have a 150p dob and i was aligning the finder scope too day using a massive tv mast about a mile away and was able to read the high voltage sign :D at the top of the ladder on the mast with the 10mm eye piece i couldnt believe it. These Skywatcher skyliner dobs are amazing. Cant wait for some clear skys its blumming foggy as hell here. Good luck with yourscope. Clear Skies:headbang:

lol yeah i looking forward to learning more, i been told about northlincsastro meetings which is near me which i hoping i can attend,i can also ask questions and advice there too.i love my scope too little disheartened on what i can see but it only cos im a novice,it will come in time.i ws a bit naive and gulible by looking at the amazing photos people put up on here and thinking i buy a big scope so i can see same colours lol.i lot learn and am very eager,my mrs not seen me in 2 days i been trying read up on stuff on net,could end in a divorce lol.

Archived