Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher Evostar 120mm

JonF

I've recently bought a used Evostar 120, which is on a rather wobbly equatorial mount. I'm looking at replacing the mount, and have looked at a few options. There's the Skywatcher EQ5 at about £240, the Celestron CG4 at a bit less, and there's also a Vixen GP2 on a HAL130 tripod, inc polar scope, locally for £350 used but in good nick. Finally, a GP2 on HAL 130 can be sourced from FLO for less than £300, but without the polar scope, and vixen polar scopes are very pricey.

Which would be the best option according to the collective wisdom of SGL?

I'd like to echo the posts above - I also have the Evostar 120 on an EQ5 and it's rock solid. I upgraded to the EQ5 from the EQ3 and it was a massive improvement.

Bear in mind however that I'm purely a visual observer, and for me the EQ5 works great. Not sure if it would be suitable to do astrophotography with though, so I guess it depends on what you want to use it for.

Thanks

Edging towards the EQ5, then. Annoyingly, there're two on eBay at the moment. One's in Wales, the other Scotland, both collection only. And I live in the far South East of England.

Archived